“Room okay, internet horrible”

Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station
Ranked #32 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I have stayed at this facility numerous times (>12 platinum Hyatt passport member) and generally pleased with the room, location and price however the internet service is absolutely horrible. While it is advertised as "free" we all know that "free" is contained in the price and advertised as a service (same as towels, shampoo, etc). During this stay (and seen in the past few) the internet connection is frustratingly slow and doing basic work (email, VPN, etc) is as painful as pulling your own teeth. This was seen in my room on a laptop, iPad, iPhone and in the lobby on iPad, laptop...this will need to improve or I will need to convert to my other travel choice at Hilton Garden Inn.

1  Thank MASSWS
Jennifer K, General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Thank you so much for your patronage to Hyatt, and we sincerely apologize for your inconveniences.
Our Wi-Fi has been a challenge for us now that most travelers use iPad and other devices allowing you to stream video with programs such as net flicks which pull a great deal of bandwidth. We have communicated this to our ownership and they have heard us! It is our goal to exceed our guest's expectations, and in that effort, have just increased our bandwidth by more than 300%! This went live 03/23/12!
Thank you so much for your feedback, and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Portland!

Reviewed 14 March 2012

The facility is new and clean but the staff attitude is utter disregard. I am from Texas--Central Time--so when I arrived at the hotel at 10:00pm Pacific it was already midnight on my clock. I wanted to go to bed. Well there was a lot of noise from the room next to mine so I called and the front desk said "someone would check it out." 30 minutes later it continued so I called back and went through the same drill. Finally, as it approached midnight--meaning 2:00am on my clock--I went to the front desk with my bags requesting a room change. The "party" room had its door proppoed open, was smoking (its supposed to be a smoke-free hotel--but apparently not) and had moved furniture from other rooms.

I was told by the front desk that no other rooms were available. Yet, while standing there--at least 6 airline employees walked up and were handed keys for other rooms! I was told
those rooms were "under contract." So the economics are--give the good, quiet rooms to the
cheap contracted rate while the full rate-paying customer ends up with the loud room. I also attempted to leave, only to find the neighboring hotels were full. So I was stuck with the noise.

The front desk told me they had spoken with the room next door and since it was getting late--they'd be wrapping up their poker game soon. Once they closed the propped-open door--the noise reduced in the hall (meaning there was nothing else the front desk could do) but the talking continued through my wall. Eventually it quieted down--close to 2:00am--near 4:00am on my clock--meaning I was up for 22 hours.

The next morning I was told there was "no record" of a poker game--only a record of a smoking incident. I asked to speak with the manager but I guess he was too busy all morning to be bothered to call me back. They front desk acted like I was looking for
something for free! They offered me free eggs which is nothing because the breakfast buffet is free! Plus, c'mon--I'm on an expense account--I'm actually better off paying and getting my Gold Passport points! I'm the one who got little sleep--not my employer. So, unable to get any resolve with the manager and the staff being in denial, I checked out early and walked over to the ALOFT next door. Apparently Hyatt Place makes enough money on airline crews that it doesn't need full-paying guests.

Room Tip: The good rooms are reserved for the airline employees.
4  Thank JakeATL
Jennifer K, General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback, and we offer our sincere apologies for the inconveniences to you during your stay with us.
I would like to begin as you did, with the noise level from other rooms surrounding yours. Please know every effort was made to ask the guests around you to comply with the noise policy of the hotel, and while we cannot always update you as to exactly what has been communicated, we absolutely were in effort to quiet the other guests. Management did get involved with the noisy guests, and according to our records were quieted around 11pm, which I understand given the time change was very late for you, and we sincerely apologize despite our efforts we were unable to accomplish this in a quicker time frame. In addition, please know our hotel is 100% non smoking. We found on this evening, the smoke smell was actually coming from outdoors as guests were smoking outside the main door near your room and carrying the scent with them as they returned to their rooms. We do require all guests to smoke not within 10 feet of the entrances, however, with Portland weather we do understand this does not always happen as we hope.
On the evening of your stay, I did look through our records and find we were 100% full. Please understand had we not been, we definitely would have moved your room as per your request. With concern to airline crews, please know we strive to deliver consistent service to all guests of the hotel without regard to rate. The information regarding those rooms being contracted is correct, however, that truly does not have any impact on the rooms they were checked into. These guests had a prearranged arrival time, which was, as you stated, during the time you were asking to be moved. We would have been unable to re-clean your room in order to relocate those guests for you, and as we would not have asked any guest with pre-arrangements to wait in the lobby while we relocated another guest into their ready room, please know these guests being "crew" did not impact the situation; they are also our guests.
I also wish to address the miscommunication as far as management speaking with you. Our records indicate you stopped at the desk and stated you wished to speak with a manager at the time of your check out, indicated in about 5 minutes. Our AGM was at that time at the desk to speak with you, however, when you had not arrived at the desk, went to wait in the back office for your check out. Our AGM was never notified you were at the desk; I apologize if at some point there was a miscommunication as to your desired method of contact.
In closing, I again apologize for the issues during your stay. It is always our goal to provide the very highest quality of service, and while I believe efforts were made, understand you left unsatisfied which is unacceptable to us. I would absolutely offer you compensation for our failure to meet your expectations, however, find prior to this communication with us you have been given a free night at any Hyatt Place nationwide. We are in hopes you may use this at our hotel in order to allow us the opportunity to illustrate a typical stay at our facility, as your stay sincerely was not. In addition, please know we will use this as a learning experience for our staff and opportunity to improve.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

I've stayed here twice now and each time was extremely impressed. Of course it helps that the hotel is only a couple years old but still feels brand new, that it's in a greal airport location, and staffed by friendly and competent people.

PROS:

ROOM: spacious, clean, quiet, cordless phone, microwave, medium fridge, 50 inch HDTV with HD programming, heavenly bed, lots of counter space. Large shower (no tub). Vertical safe built into the tiny closet. I would love everyone of my hotel stays to be in a room like this.

HSIA: free wireless and wired (supply your own cable or check one out from the front desk.) Good speed.

PHONE: free local and 800 calls

BREAKFAST: free continental plus--very good slow-cooked oatmeal, cut fruits, cereal, bread and pastries. You can pay and order hot breakfast (eggs + meat) The Hyatt Place in Honolulu had hot skillet breakfast sandwiches (free) but not this one. This feature seems to vary depending on location.

FITNESS CENTER: 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 1 bike (All LifeFitness)
free weights, all in a nice large room with good A/C.

LOCATION: across from Cascade Station shopping center (IKEA, Best Buy, Sports Authority, Starbucks, Red Robin, Starbucks, etc.)

AIRPORT TRANSPORTATION: free shuttle or walk 1 block and take the MAX train ($2.50). Plenty of free parking in back. Has Park and Fly option.

CONS:

Can't really think of any. The room rates are competitive with surrounding properties.

Room Tip: rooms facing the back (parking lot) are quieter.
Reviewed 10 March 2012

My first Hyatt Place was a great find and I have been enjoying the brand since. Decent quick service on check-in and the rooms appear the same regardless of which HP you stay. The rooms have a nice sitting area with desk for working and large flat screen TV. The location is close to the Portland Airport in Cascade Station with lot of places to eat or shop within walking distance. Eateries nearby include Buffalo Wild Wings, Famous Daves BBQ, Hot Pot 'n Sushi, Pizano's Pizza, Red Robin, Starbucks, IHOP, Panda Express, Taco Del Mar, Quiznos Subs and YoCream. Shopping includes IKEA, Best Buy, Target, Staples, Sports Authority and Marshall to name a few. Services at the hotel include Complimentary Wi-Fi, continental breakfast, newspaper, parking and airport shuttle plus they have self-service check-in/check-out kiosks.
I constantly see rates here under $100 with all the freebies, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Kurt B
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I like the Hyatt Place brand, and this hotel was exactly what I expected for an airport location. Unlike some other reviewers, I never heard any aircraft noise, and I'm a very light sleeper. The nearby restaurants aren't gourmet quality, but few airport restaurants are. The front desk was pleasant and efficient. I'd be even happier if the chain offered a hot entree or two for breakfast.