“Scruffy, noisy but bed was comfortable!”

Travelodge Portland City Center
Ranked #105 of 139 Hotels in Portland
usa
“Scruffy, noisy but bed was comfortable!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

On 2nd floor above a karaoke bar - next to a very busy road - noisy a/c did cover some of the noise. Nice sized fridge, microware. Furniture scruffy but carpet appeared to be new and room was clean. We booked early and paid 1/2 of the asking price on the day of the stay which was more than enough. Its a few minutes walk from the trimet station at PSU and 5th which is in the free zone. You have to walk to 6th to get the trimet back down to the city centre but that was ok.

Room Tip: rooms in the annexe are probably quieter - further from the road
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank diost
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

Room was small but relativly clean... Citi centar and shops are really close- few minutes by walk. You have allday free coffe and tea but for breakfast you must extra pay. In the same building is some pub and during the weekend is noisy. But, all in all, good hotel for low price.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
aston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

I stayed here 4 days in late May. There are good and bad things about this motel, but for the great price I paid, I'd say it was worth it. I'd stay here again. It was clean enough, the bed was fine and it was easy to walk into the downtown. Free streetcar was pretty close.

At first I had room 72, which has a window opening onto the intersection (4th and Caruthers), right over the Travelodge sign. I loved leaning out this window at night, watching people pass by below, watching the traffic. The room was simple but perfect: A counter in the bathroom, a bar to hang clothes on, comfortable bed. I don't ask for much. (Getting the shower to work was tricky. I had to call the office.) One small quibble was the shower had only one temperature: hot. Better than cold, I suppose, but after going running I would have liked some cool water.

Another downer is there is a karaoke bar in the building. I had been worried about noise, but since there was another floor between me and the bar, I felt better. My first night I heard no noise and slept well. That was a Thursday. Friday night was different. I fell asleep at midnight, and at 1:00 a loud noise woke me. Then I could hear people talking and laughing out on the street. The bar door banged shut every minute or so. I couldn't fall back asleep for hours. I was furious.

So in the morning I requested to be moved to the other building, away from the bar. At first the clerk doubted my story, saying no one had ever complained of bar noise in room 72. He said it several times, as if I were lying. FInally he agreed to hold a room for me in the other building. So I had to pack up and check out, then check in later.
My room in the other building was not as nice. No counter in bathroom. Nowhere to hang clothes. (And the people next door had a dog in their room. It barked when I passed but did not wake me, as I'd feared.) The bed was OK though, and I heard no night noises.

Parking is another issue. Lots of spots if you park by 5 or 6. But one night I got back around 11 and there were no spots. Desk clerk had no suggestion other than "find street parking." I had to park blocks away and was nervous, but the car was OK in the morning.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Bobbbb
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2011

We stayed for two nights using reviews and prices as a guide. This hotel was very clean and very welcoming. The staff were very helpful. The area is safe day and night. We booked with Travelocity.ca which stated breakfast included however the hotel does not have any facilities for breakfast (this happened to us in Seattle so we think it is the site) Only bad point is if you are on the first floor, there is a bar under the hotel which is loud until 1am. We were on the 2nd floor so didn't affect us. The bar is very very cheap with a great happy hour (4pm - 8pm) & (9pm-10pm on karoke nights) Would def stay again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MariaJM1980
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

Inexpensive but dumpy. The air conditioner didn't work properly and of course there was no one available to fix it. I was told the free parking was "available on a first-come-first serve" basis. Avoid if you can afford something better.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels