“Decent and clean, but not really a B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Rebecca House and Bungalow Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #24 of 36 Portland B&B and Inns
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Decent and clean, but not really a B&B”
Reviewed 9 October 2008

I travel to Portland frequently to visit my children and grandchildren. Usually I stay in the Embassy Suites or Springhill Suites near the airport. This time I flew on frequent flyer miles and so decided to spend a bit more on the hotel and chose a B&B from the BBA website. The one I chose for my 7-night stay was Rebecca House.

I was by myself so I stayed in the "Bungalow" - which is actually the finished basement of the house. It was decent: not fancy by any stretch, but comfy and roomy. It had off-street parking at the door, and that was a definite plus since the street is kind of narrow. Since the thermostat was upstairs (don't know why) there were a couple of small space heaters that I used at night and they worked just fine for me. There was a PC and a phone in the small room off the sitting area, although internet access, which was advertised, was strictly dial-up and quite spotty at best. I never could connect to my google mail account.

Rebecca House sits right on the Columbia River, with a marina full of house boats just across the street. It is located between I-5 and I-205. It's a bit out of the way coming from I-205 (you basically have to go all the way around the airport) but fairly easy to get to from I-5. It's a very nice house in a nice neighborhood and a pretty quiet street, considering how close it is to the airport. I quite enjoyed the area. There is a bike/walking path along the river front with plenty of spaces to park your car along Marine Dr.

I requested a couple of things from the owners, such as an iron/ironing board, and they were very good about making sure I had these things. Their instructions in the email were clear and I had no problems finding the place or getting in without a manager or owner on site.

Overall I was okay staying there, except for the colony of spiders had taken up residency - I must have squashed at least 5 of them in my bathroom during the week. :-). However, there were several things that really bugged me.

First, I think that calling it a "B&B" is misleading. You get a variety of breads and cereals, plus yogurt and cream cheese, milk and several juices in the fridge. But it's serve yourself. In that regard, it is no different from all the chain hotels that now offer a continental-style breakfast with your stay. Granted, that was stated clearly up front on their website, but for $50/night more than Embassy Suites, I was a bit disappointed in that, especially when I was there for an entire week but the breads were never refreshed, so I ended up throwing out several bagels halfway through my stay when they developed mold.

Secondly, I never saw or was greeted by the owners or a manager at any time. A key was left in the lock box and I was given the combination in an email. That was fine, but no one ever called to ask if I needed anything, no one ever came to the door to make sure everything was good or see if I needed anything. They advertise that they respect your privacy, which is fine, but I felt totally ignored.

Thirdly, I take issue with the religious texts all over the walls. There were christian bible verses, and christian sayings everywhere. If like me you are non-religious or of another faith like Jewish, or Muslim, or Hindu, it would very annoying at best; I thought it was mildly offensive. If they had mentioned this on their website, I would have passed this place up in heartbeat.

To wrap up: if you are not worried about a few spiders, being totally ignored, christian texts in your face every time you turn around, and you don't care about eating a nice, freshly cooked breakfast, then you'll be fine here.

One final comment: this property appears to be for sale, judging by the, uh, for sale sign on the front fence. Perhaps the lack of interest in customer welfare is due to this. If you're in the market, take note. :-)

Personally, I think I'll stick to the Embassy Suites.

• Liked — Location was nice, great neighborhood, walking/bike path along the river, picturesque, lots of room to move around, private
  • Disliked — Never saw manager/owner, breakfast items not replenished, no apparent concern for customer comfort.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank tek_wryter

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow