The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #20 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Arrived for 6 night stay suite reservation. Suite had two double beds. Only one glass and one bottle of water. Hairs on bathroom floor and tissue in waste basket. Closet space non-existent: top cothes rack about 18 inches above shelf. Couldn't hang shirts. Bottom rack barely suitable to hang shirts and less than 24 inches wide. In Or for wedding and had brought many guests to 9's. Wife ha 5 long gowns with nowhere to hang them. Asked for a suitable suite but desk dogs wouldn't listen. Turned out we were put in handicap suite even though we arrived well before other guests that day and were staying longer. They put a luggage cart in our room and that was it. Class B service. However the Urban Farmer restaurant was excellent.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jeff B
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Thank you for your comments and I apologize that your visit was unpleasant. I value all perspectives and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your feedback further at your convenience.

Fred Kleisner, GM
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland

Reviewed 17 August 2012

I've stayed at the Nines three or four times now, and I gotta say that I'm impressed — it offers modern luxury, super comfortable, high-end accommodations, and outstanding service. I've never had a negative experience.

Big bonuses include the Departure lounge on the rooftop — however, I'm not a fan of the nighttime clientele (meat-market, kind of skanky) but for late afternoons it is a great place to grab a cocktail and appetizer and enjoy the gorgeous view of the city. Also the Urban Farmer restaurant is pretty darned good for a hotel. Portland has *mucho* top-notch restaurants but Urban Farmer is a great alternative when you don't have the time to get out, or you want to order a great breakfast in your room.

The only barrier really is the price, but I'm not going to knock off a star for that, because they do a pretty great job of providing the value.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CommandZed
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stayed her and last year and although we waited until past check-in time to get our room, it ended up being a beautiful room and we were treated well by the staff BUT this time was a totally different story. The room was smaller and we could hear through the walls of the room, not just people in the hallway but the other rooms! We ordered a few things from room service which were totally unacceptable (uncut, not toasted bagels, diet coke instead of regular, no bill was presented). The only thing that remained consistent was the nice staff.
The hotel is located in a good location but they do charge for parking (separate from hotel charge that they quote). Food in restaurants is delicious.

Room Tip: Perhaps if you get a bigger room, you won't hear through the walls????
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gaye H
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations during this visit. I am pleased that our staff was able to provide a superior level of service and I will pass your comments along to our team. I hope that we can improve upon the issues mentioned and welcome you back to exceed your current expectations in the future! Please contact me if you would like to discuss anything further.

Fred Kleisner, GM
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Reviewed 15 August 2012

I would recommend the nines for people that value service and luxury. It really is a 1st class establishment and the location is excellent. Valet is one of the best that I have ever seen. I stayed in room 1142 on August 6th with a view facing the courtyard. The service is excellent but I wish the would offer a heavier selection of foods at the lounge. No complaints but some Sheraton establishments offer much better food at their vip lounge.

I would definitely stay there again and I think the nines has won me over compared to the Westin Portland

Room Tip: Get a room facing the courtyard if you want peace and quiet
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JamesChessMaster
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I tried to write a short and sweet review but it was refused so here goes:

Stayed here over the Easter Weekend.

The hotel was easy to find and checkin was pretty smooth. We had opted for a package that included 1 amenity. We chose breakfast at checkin.

The hotel is at the top part of the building that contains Macy's. It is an older building. Renovated nicely but the hotel is showing signs of wear.

We were assigned a King room overlooking the central square of the city. We could hear minor traffic noise at night. Internet was free and we were able to sign on with our computers and smart phones easily.

As Oregon does not have a sales tax, we pre-ordered a parcel to be delivered to the hotel. The package arrived and was delivered without problems.

Breakfast:
We ate in the hotel restaurant but we were surprised to be served pre-made eggs and tough microwaved sausages for our meal. Kind of chintzy for a high menu price. But they were included in our room rate so I guess complaints are un-warranted(?).

The big problem we had with breakfast was for Easter Sunday. On Saturday night when we were going back to our room we caught wind that there was an Easter Brunch in the restaurant the next day. When we got back to the room we called the restaurant to make sure we could get in for our complimentary breakfast. We were advised that the restaurant was completely sold out and that we could not be served.

We contacted the hotel management through the front desk to express our displeasure. Within the hour we had secured a table for 9:00 AM. Strange that now there was a table and that we were not advised of the Sunday brunch and possible reservation issues when we checked in. Not a great end to a Saturday night.

The next morning we arrived for breakfast to a completely empty restaurant. It stayed that way for at least 45 minutes. Brunch was good. Too bad the reservation issues took the shine off of the meal.

The Kicker.....

On Saturday night upon entry to the bathroom I was completely shocked to find a cockroach hopping around the sink. I have to say it kind of freaked me out. This is the first time I have ever seen a cockroach... anywhere! When I called down to the front desk... all we received was sorry. Nothing else no follow up.

Given the brunch issue, the cockroach issue, the noise and the lack of interest by the hotel staff I would give this place a pass. The Westin down the street is a better option for a great stay in Portland.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple