“Excellent hotel in a great urban setting in Portland”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent hotel in a great urban setting in Portland”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We had an excellent stay at the Monaco June last year, in one of the finest cities in US. It was my 3rd trip to PDX and my GF's first. (excellent enough for me to want to write this review after coming across my notes from that trip)

We had a cozy upper-story room with a view of the streets below-- it wasn't large, but comfortably sized with large windows. The bedding and upholstery was a little dated looking but fresh, clean, and bright (a recent email from Kimpton states that the rooms have been refreshed since). The room was very quiet-- we didn't hear our neighbors at all, and very little noise from the street (very rare for an urban hotel)-- Portlanders seem a quiet, respectful folk.

In this price range, I expect to be satisfied, but the Monaco staff went above and beyond. Little things like helpful advice from the desk about where to eat nearby (Portland is full of delicious food, do venture forth and explore), the garage valet not minding holding my rental car for 2 hours while we unloaded and settled in (no charge though it's not free parking) since I planned to return it. Major things like the hotel giving us a free bottle of wine (!) and cookies since I told them it was my GF's and my first trip together. Very classy, and very appreciated.

The lobby "Living Room" is comfortable, large, with a variety of different seating, and a fireplace-- we sat down here at nights when we both had computer work to do, rather than being closed up in our room. During the afternoon, there's a free wine tasting that allows for social mingling for the extroverts amongst you.

Food/drink at the hotel's restaurant ("Red Star") was very good, we had snacks or drinks here several times (happy hour specials are very affordable). Bacon-wrapped jalapenos (fiery hot, perfectly delicious) stand out in my memory, but we ate/drank here happily a half dozen times.

The hotel is only a few blocks from highway access, but Portland is a dream for carless transportation. Very walkable, very pedestrian safe, with small blocks and a lot of interesting sights. Within a few minutes of the hotel is an extensive waterfront park, various forms of transit, dozens of restaurants, several small parks, a public plaza, nightlife, etc. If you like to walk, you will love Portland.

Definitely join the Kimtpon Intouch program (free) which offers various bennies like free wi-fi, occasional price promotions, etc.

Kimpton hotels in general are outstanding, and this one is no exception. Portland is a delightful, accessible city, very friendly, very walkable, and from the Monaco's location, you can easily get around downtown.

I travel frequently, and it's very rare that I'll recommend a hotel with any hesitation. This one such hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
TKeleherPDX, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Your review nailed the Hotel Monaco Portland and the city of Portland, Right on. Great job. We look forward to your return visit. If I can be of assistance just e email me and let me know.

Thanks

Craig Thompson
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
Tillamook, Oregon
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Hotel Monaco,

You know exactly what we expect when we stay at your Hotel Monaco in Portland. Your staff is very professional and friendly. I don't have to worry about the cleanliness at this Hotel. Also, the ambiance adds to the experience. Your friendly staff take hospitality to the next level. The Romance Package is like the icing on a cake, well worth the money for that special occasion.
You keep us coming back.

Thanks,

Denny Pastega

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
I was very glad to har that you enjoyed the romance package and that you will return. If I can be of assistance please don't hesitate to contact me. Also, say hello to Jessica for me.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

This place was quirky and cool without trying too hard. We loved the decor the wine reception and the service was excellent. Was recommended a great place for dinner a Peruvian restaurant can't quite remember the name.
We got a really good last minute rate I'm sure it's usually seriously more expensive. I work in a high end hotel myself and I was extremely impressed by this hotel! Thanks guys! We will be back!

• Stayed March 2012
The fact that you have worked in a high end hotel and complimented our hotel is high praise indeed. If I can ever assist you with reservations for your next visit please don't hesitate to e mail me.

thanks

Irvine, California
Reviewed 19 April 2012

On our first trip to Portland, we got a great deal on a suite at Hotel Monaco. We have stayed at Kimpton hotels before, so I was expecting great things. But Hotel Monaco is just spectacular.

For me, the best thing was their pet friendly policy. In fact, upon our arrival to the hotel, there was a chalkboard with the names of all the pets who were arriving that day. If my cat Sammy could read, she probably would've felt like a superstar.

Everyone who worked here provided excellent service. There was a cocktail hour around 5 PM, I believe. Also, In true Portland fashion, they even had bike rentals in the hotel.

The location is great -- within walking distance to everything.

Our suite rocked my socks. It was possibly the best room I ever stayed in. Also, there was a bowl, mat and treats for my cat. Again, she got some royal treatment.

We also went to the restaurant attached to the hotel (Red Star Tavern) and were actually seated in the booth where mayor Sam Adams was having dinner. That was kind of cool. It would've been cooler if it was Kyle Machlaclan, but I guess sometimes you do have to settle for the real deal.

I can say nothing but positive things about Hotel Monaco. I cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Wow... thanks for your high praise. I loved the part about "stay no where else but the Hotel Monaco". We look forward to your next visit. If i can be of assistance please don't hesitate to contact me.

Vancouver
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Kimpton hotels, I love you. We just got back from 4 glorious nights at the Hotel Monaco in Portland. I am so impressed! We went for my birthday and I was amazed to find a bottle of champagne and a cupcake in my room on arrival. What a lovely surprise. The staff are awesome, the decor is funky and fun, and our room was spacious and clean. The location is fantastic, as you can walk pretty much everywhere. Portland rocks and so does this hotel. I will be back soon!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
"Sunshine and lollipos all around". I love it. Thanks so much for this review. I'm gald you enjoyed your birthday. How old are you now? (Yeah, I don't tell either). We look forward to your next visit.