“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #26 of 143 Hotels in Portland
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stopped here for an overnight on the way from Northern California to Seattle. The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. However, the breakfast cook (the breakfast itself was excellent btw) was very rude and not kind at all. He intimidated the kids (ages 10 and 7) a little with his attitude and how he was snapping at people. The room was clean and comfortable and the pool area was nice. Other than the cook with an attitude problem the hotel was very nice and I would repeat staying here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I selected this hotel by the reviews and rank on trip advisor and when I called to reserve a room I was suprised that the rate was very affordable then I was kind of worried. I told myself that just as long as it was clean that I can live with staying 1 night so I prepared myself for some challenges. I arrived at the hotel and the exterior looked nice as well as the lobby I was relieved a bit. Everyone at the front desk was very nice upon check in they offered cookies that were delicious. Went up to the room and it was clean and spacious.. beds were comfortable. I told myself wow for this price I'm so surprised that they can offer such a clean and nice room and not to mention all the extra amenities breakfast I mean pancakes, sausage, eggs, potatoes, cereal, muffins, fruit, yogurt, coffee etc. and the evening reception that offers soup and salad as well as alcoholic drinks for the adults (of course), indoor pool, sauna, free parking, wifi, fitness center, business center and a great location all in included in the price of your room which again is very affordable. I am very pleased with this hotel and this will be the place I stay when I return to Portland, Oregon.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Masga56
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This hotel is great, and I will definitely be choosing it again when I come to the Portland area. I broke this up in paragraphs, for those who are reading reviews for certain things in their stay

Arrival/Check-in:
When I arrived, I was greeted by friendly lady.
She didn't just give me a short typical welcome like "Welcome. You are room 234, second floor. Breakfast is from 7-10 am on weekends. Pool hours posted at door. Enjoy your stay." No. Don't get me wrong, this is a fine welcome greeting. But it was more friendly and personalized, and made me already appreciate the place. I loved that this wasn't a planned 'give this greeting to every guest'. She actually treated me like a human being, capable of hearing and understanding more than just the basics.

Calling front-desk for help:
At hotels they tell you to let them know if you need anything. Well at this hotel, they really are focused on making your stay as enjoyable as possible. I was trying to play a DVD using their DVD player, and I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. I felt like an idiot, but I remember them saying to call if they can be of any assistance. So I called the front desk. Normally I would be afraid of sounding like an idiot on the phone, or I would fear that they would treat me like I was wasting their time and this wasn't worth calling for help. But because of how friendly the staff at the front was, I wasn't afraid. I called and they assured me that they would send a maintenance guy up to my room. I appreciated this, and told her that I was in no rush because I knew there were other guests with more important needs. Within 5 minutes, the maintenance guy was at my door. Turns out that a previous guest must have unplugged some cables in that back. I felt silly/embarrassed and apologized and he was very kind and told me it was no problem and even made small talk with me. Just simple things like this makes me appreciate Oxford Suites and their staff.

Great things provided with your stay:
There is a pool, hot tub, sauna, and steam bath. Towels are provided. I was only in the pool area for maybe 45 minutes, and within that time I saw an inn-keeper come in, check the towel stock, empty the dirty towel basket, and bring out more towels. I think the pool is open from 7am to 10pm. I may be off an hour. There is also a fitness center, which is open 24 hours.

Business Center:
This is open 24 hours as well. There are three desks, two of them have computes and the other is a space for a laptop. This is a quiet room, and there is a fan that isn't loud but it does drown out the sound of people in the hallway (which is nice). There are pens at each desk, and a printer along with printing paper on a shelf right next to the printer. I like that this is open 24 hours, and I think this helps ensure that a computer is available during your stay.

BREAKFAST:
Amazing.
First day it was biscuits and gravy as the food of the day. They also had cinnamon rolls.
Second day was waffles. They also served croissants.
Then there is the typical daily menu of eggs (your choice of how you want them cooked), potatoes, and a meat (changes daily).
They also have cold cereal (Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes, Fruit Loops, and two more kinds of cereal but I don't remember what.
They have a variety of breads and bagels. For those of you who have a sweet-tooth, they had three kinds of medium sized donuts (glazed, plain, and powdered). I suggest the glazed!
For a healthier daily choice they have apple sauce, yogurt, cottage cheese, and fresh fruit. And when I say fresh, I mean fresh. I had a banana both mornings, and they weren't old brown bananas like some hotels. They were yellow with hints of green, which is perfect!
Three kinds of juice. Cranberry, Apple, Orange.
A variety of jams and other condiments.

Dining room is well kept, and staff are constantly busing tables and clearing your dishes and pushing in chairs.

Overall stay was very good, and I will definitely be back!

I only suggest the hotel consider adding an hour at morning and an hour at night of adult-swim. This would be great for people who are traveling without kids, and want a relaxing swim. But I understand this hotel is family friendly, and there are so many other great things about this place that I'm not going to let a few accidental splashes from happy kids keep me away :)

Oh, and there is one staff in particular that I enjoyed. I believe her name is Hilary. She told me she was new there. Newbie or not, she is doing a great job! I was impressed with how well she handled the front when she was the only staff working. I suggest they have two staff at the front though; I had to wait about 7 minutes to rent a movie and buy some snacks, because she was dealing with a family checking in. BUT, she was friendly overall and she did perfect at kindly handling the load of questions this family had, and she acknowledge me waiting. Personally, if I was her..I would lose my cool with the phone ringing in the background, the questions being asked, and someone waiting to buy something in the gift shop (connected to the front desk). But she did great. She apologized for me having to wait, and even gave me a 2 dollar discount. I didn't want her to feel bad, because she handled the situation so well that I think if anyone should apologize, it should be the hotel's management (apology to her as well) for not having two people up front (or at least an extra staff nearby). Other than that, staff was prompt at everything and very friendly!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Leah D
Seattle
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Our reason for going was for rest and quality family time - this Oxford Suites delivered! The nearby mall is almost an abandoned building - perhaps only 10% of space has operating businesses. The strip mall adjacent to the mall has your tried and true stores like Old Navy, Target, Best Buy, Toys R Us...so if you are coming for shopping, you will need to take the train in to town for better options (that ride in to downtown takes about 25 minutes). Service in the hotel - excellent, friendly, down to earth. Room was clean - best part was the soaking tub in our suite and the MOST COMFORTABLE hotel bed ever. Old TV (not flat screen) had something I haven't seen in years - a VCR. DVD player, too - wish we had brought our own movies. Pool, fitness, saunas all very clean. Reception plentiful spread of food (with hot tomato soup and chili on days we stayed), and breakfast was also very good (although nothing gourmet). Free shuttle to and from the Vancouver Amtrak station very nice. As well as free shuttle to the metro train that takes you in to the city. Safeway a block away is convenient for snacks and water. Highly recommend BJ's restaurant (walking distance from hotel) - excellent calmari, burgers and salads...wish we had room for dessert. Also excellent service at BJs. A quiet 2-nights with my son - we made some fun memories despite the lack of things to see and do at Jantzen Beach. This was especially fun because we took the Amtrak down from Seattle - our first time...so all things considered, we had a relaxing adventure.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Matthew5:8
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We have stayed here in the past, and decided to stay again earlier this month, the room was clean and accommodating. Staff are pleasant and they offer great little packages if you book 48 hour in advance. We found that out the hard way. They have a mini convient store of sorts and a video rental system that is really nice. The pool is clean and works great for kids. They offer a evening reception of salads, crackers and other type of similar offerings. They also offer 2 Complientry drinks in the evening of either wine or beer and soda or jucie for the kids. Breakfast was OK they offer made to order eggs and offer a few things such as potatoes and waffles. They also now have a small resterant that offers food like pizza and sandwiches. This location is close to the freeways, gas stations and a mall. We were very happy with our stay and will be back again.

Room Tip: Check there website for great deals 48 hours before travel.