“Down home southern awesome”

Pine State Biscuits
Ranked #7 of 4,400 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 10
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Pine State Biscuits takes biscuits and gravy to a whole new level by adding fried chicken, bacon, and Tillamook cheddar, and calling it Reggie.

The Reggie has got to be one of the top 5 sandwiches I have ever had, and one of the top 5 breakfasts as well. It is just all kinds of fantastic.

Their menu is actually rather large (mostly centered around biscuits) but I have never strayed very far from The Reggie. Having said that, everything I have seen coming out of the kitchen looks great, and the other dishes that friends have ordered have met with high levels of approval.

To help wash it down they serve Stumptown coffee (of course), but I would recommend trying their sweet tea, or Xocolatl de David's Champ's Gourmet Chocolate Milk, both very good.

The staff are very friendly and always in high spirits, and it is not unusual to hear them burst into song if a particularity catchy tune pops up on the stereo.

The SE Belmont location is very small with limited seating. The turnover is fairly high, as people are well aware that others are waiting, but when the line is out the door, the odds of finding a seat are slim.

You have to bus your own table and serve yourself water, but if you have already waited through the line, you are likely not going to be scare off by a little effort... it is well worth it.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

Went here for breakfast. Had to wait a long time, no standing room (we knew that beforehand at least) and in the end, it was pretty lackluster. If it would have been tasty it would not have mattered that we had to wait so long but, it just wasn't that good. I didn't even finish my biscuit! I like the concept, it just didn't do it for me.

Reviewed 10 February 2012

We went in to place a "to go" order. They were so fast! Even on a week day in the middle of the day they were really busy--a sure sign of good food and good value for the money. Their biscuits were great and we enjoyed them a lot.

Reviewed 28 January 2012

Fried chicken, bacon & cheese topped with gravy...need I say more? Belmont location gets really busy at lunch, first come, first served, but well worth it.
Gravy is spicy, but not Tabasco spicy, if you get my drift...Go, and wear a bib!

Reviewed 20 January 2012

I am from NC but never have I had anything quite like the bisquits at Pine State....Absolutely incredible - A must place to go when in Portland!