“Great View”

Saffron Salmon
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Saffron Salmon is perched on the end of a public pier with a panoramic bay view on Newport's Historic Bayfront. We showcase Northwest cuisine utilizing local and fresh ingredients. As sea life frolic outside the window, you will dine amidst contemporary art in this visually stunning eatery. A local's favorite, Saffron Salmon is a magical dining experience with its stunning view, great food, superb service and unique Northwest wine and beer selection.
Reviewed 27 July 2018

We had dinner here while in Newport and were very pleased. My daughter had a shrimp and scallop risotto, which she very much enjoyed. My other daughter had a baseball cut of meat that she loved. I had the shrimp and crab cakes which were also very good, and we finished the meal with the chocolate brownie. It is a casual place with a great view. I would go back.

Reviewed 25 July 2018

My Lady and I had read some glowing reviews of the Saffron Salmon, and went down to the waterfront to find it. We had the misfortune of turning the wrong way on Bay Blvd,. and trudged quite a way before we discovered our error. Reversing course, we walked the length of the waterfront and finally discovered the restaurant near the end of the road. We were pleased to be offered a table immediately, and celebrated with a bottle of wine. Don't remember exactly which dishes we ordered, but they were both salmon, and they were both wonderful. The service was very warm and accommodating, the food was great, and we went back to the motel very happy.

Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

Fantastic.

Great food. Great service. Great location.

We went with our dear friends who had been to Saffron Salmon a few times previously. They raved about the food - and it was with just cause. The food was amazing.

Our table of four had a wide assortment of dishes off the menu. The big hit was the beet risotto cakes. Everyone loved them. I had the seafood risotto and it was just the right balance of briny goodness and creamy decadence.

As has been mentioned in previous Yelp posts, the interior/decor of the restaurant isn't super inviting (nor very sophisticated - e.g. the restaurant uses paper napkins). Its a bit dated and feels more like a rental condo than a high-end restraint - but that should not dissuade you, the food and service are awesome. Some of the best on the coast.

We had such a great evening. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed 7 July 2018

Wow. It truly pains me to give a one star review - and frankly, it deserves 0 stars based upon my visit, but I call the shots as I see them, and my visit here had literally no redeeming qualities other than an incredible view. It particularly pains me to write this review with this low a rating because every other restaurant I've eaten at in Newport was so good (Local Ocean, Ocean Bleu at Ginos, Zachs Bistro, Georgies), so i don't know if this was just the stars not aligning for me or what.

The food (pan roasted salmon) was frankly horrendous. The salmon had little to no flavor, had more bones than I've ever seen out of a salmon fillet, and I almost choked on one. The other items on the plate were dull with no flavor. To make matters worse, the next day I had severe digestive disorder caused by this food.

While the service was fair and the view excellent, there is no possible way I could ever recommend this restaurant, and while I'm sure others like it, and many of you who read this will think I'm being harsh, there is no way I can chance another visit. I had such a miserable experience here I'll never, ever be back, even if the meal were free. There are just so many vastly better options in Newport to eat for me to even bother. Strongly not recommended.

Date of visit: July 2018
saffronsalmon, Master of Mean Spirited Reviews at Saffron Salmon, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2018

We would love to hear more about the greatest disappointment ever in a restaurant in your life especially if you nearly choked and were ill. Please contact us. Thank you.

Reviewed 30 June 2018

Our dinner was prepared perfect. I would recommend the seafood stew which had fantastic flavor. Very casual.

Date of visit: June 2018