“Really great family cafe”
Review of Fishtails Cafe

Fishtails Cafe
Ranked #14 of 122 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 4 October 2018

We got the marionberry french toast. Super huge, stuffed with a cream cheese mixture and housemade bread with a lovely berry sauce, which is just the right consistency and sweetness. I hate really sweet sauces. This is just right.
They have salmon hash and I asked if I could get a salmon eggs benedict, which they did for me. The sauce was not the tradtional hollandaise sauce, but a nice light white cheese sauce. It really was perfect for the dish. The bread was a housemade light sourdough bread and very think cut. I had the country potatoes and they were perfect.
the portions are large so you will have breakfast the next day.
The coffee is very good and i was told they make their own blend.
I want to go back and try the pumpkin pancakes and chicken fried steak.
If you need a walk after, go browse the aquarium or the stores right around the corner.
The owners and staff are lovely and fun! Do yourself a favor and go here and enjoy the great food.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

I got the salmon eggs benedict, which I asked if I could have it and no problem.
The bread is housemade and a light sourdough taste. The sauce is not your typical hollandaise and is a white cheese sauce. Really light and delicious over the eggs and toast. I got the country potatoes, which were wonderful. A large portion, so ate the leftovers for breakfast. Husband got the marionberry french toast, which was huge with housemade bread stuffed with cream cheese mixture. The sauce was perfect and not to sweet. Really great consistency. We had this as well the next day.
The coffee is fantastic and they told me it is their own blend.
This is a great family run cafe, very friendly, lovely owners and staff.
I would recommend to anyone. Go enjoy and share. If you need to walk it off the aquarium is down the street.
I'm going back to try the pumpkin pancake and country friend steak. YUM !!

Reviewed 2 October 2018

We ordered the cod and the food turned out alright. Just know before eating your coleslaw that it has pineapple in it. I didn't mind the coleslaw but it certainly isn't like any normal coleslaw I've had before.
There were multiple tables at the cafe that were not happy with the service or the food. We seen a couple leave without food. They were there before we arrived but sat there for 25 minutes without the server checking on them. They approached the server to say they had to be somewhere else and asked when the food would be ready. They waited a little while longer and then had to leave without any food. They looked very unimpressed. I'm almost certain that we ended up getting the meal the couple that left was about to get because our food came out fairly fast considering. There was another table there that was also complaining about the time it took to get their food and then when the got it the fries were cold. If you go here, make sure you don't have plans afterwards and go for a relaxing time to chat with whomever you go with. Note they are only open from 7-3pm daily. One other thing, the day were were there we got there around 1:15 and left at 2:30. While we were there the one server (there was only one working) spent most of her time sitting and chatting to a local who came in by himself. When the server was working she was more inclined to clean off table than check on the customers she had.

1  Thank Avery M
Reviewed 25 September 2018

Another of the all too many restaurants that close early after the lunch hour. The food is very tasty here but how can I describe the "ambiance"? Cheap, old, ratty florescent lighting, etc. Everything is mismatched not from a style choice but because it looks like items were picked up at garage sales. So if you have that as an expectation, there are some tasty choices. If not real hungry, I recommend the fish tacos that are very good and fresh. TOTALLY decadent is the french toast that is like eating donuts....hard to describe but if you need a major sugar sweetness fix - that alone is worth the visit. When the weather is nice there is the option to sit in front of this "cafe" and the word is used loosely. You will be adjacent to the parking lot looking at cars but they have tried to dress the area up with allot of really nice wild growing plants. Honestly, the place has a little better than average food but the decor leaves a heck of a lot to be desired and there are much nicer places to choose from at this price point.

Date of visit: July 2018
2  Thank mpP7536PH
Barbara A, Owner at Fishtails Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2018

I find it interesting that you did not notice that the fluorescent lighting has been updated and was updated almost a year ago. The lighting is no longer fluorescent. The fixtures have been changed. The tables in the restaurant are new. We bought them a month ago. We haven't served fish tacos in months and months. Which makes me wonder if you wrote this review from memory. Although thank you for the suggestion because they were very good fish tacos and I will make sure we serve them again and more often. It also sounds as if you have been a frequent customer at Fishtails Cafe. Thank you very much for your patronage and for this review.

Reviewed 19 September 2018

Everything is homemade and is GREAT!...it can get crowded but it is worth the wait. The service is excellent .