“Tasty Jewish Deli”

MacLevin's Eaterie
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 18
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: We are a 3-generation kitchen and serve an eclectic menu of sustainable, natural, organic, and regional foods. Our menu is full of gluten-free options such as latkes, fish and chips, as well as soups, salads and dressings, frittatas, and meats. Sandwiches available on gluten-free bread. We offer a selection of traditional specialties: bagels, Nova Scotia lox, pastrami, corn beef, chicken livers, matzoh brei, our own bagels, rye and challah bread. Closed Tuesday and Wednesday. Cash and checks only.
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Quality food in downtown Jacksonville. My daughter and I split a tasty grilled pastrami with sweet potato fries while my husband enjoyed his Reuben and watermelon soda. Service by the owner was quick and friendly. Overall, a nice spot for lunch.

There are newer reviews for MacLevin's Eaterie

Reviewed 29 August 2011

Whenever I go to the nearby Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, I make sure to indulge myself with a delicious healthy meal at MacLevin’s in charming historic Jacksonville before shopping at the nearby stores. My favorite breakfast dish is the Belgian waffle with a side of fresh fruit.

Penelope and Jeffrey, the couple that owns and operates this cozy establishment, are passionate in their commitment to serving meals made from healthy ingredients: organic, nitrate-free, gluten-free, non-genetically engineered, etc. This comes out loud and clear when you look at their website homepage http://www.maclevinsonline.com , and when you speak to them in person. An excellent review of MacLevin’s was published in Oregon Healthy Living available online by Googling “Oregon Healthy Living MacLevin” or by using the link at the bottom of MacLevin’s website homepage. The downside of serving healthier foods is higher costs and menu prices, which is discussed in the article and which (menu prices) the owner-couple is very conscientious about controlling.

From the bipolar TripAdvisor ratings of MacLevin’s some people really like this eaterie, and some really don’t. I strongly suggest that you judge for yourself by trying one of its healthy meals and engaging the owners in a food conversation. Check the MacLevin website for days and hours of operation (currently closed on Tuesday and Wednesday), and note that to keep financial costs down credit cards are not used.

Reviewed 21 August 2011

I went into this place with my sister and nieces. We wanted ice cream, but the owner became very impatient when my nieces didn't decide right away. When we all did sit down to enjoy the ice cream, the owner said he needed a table and asked us to leave. There were three empty tables at the time! My husband quietly told him that we wouldn't be back and he responded, "Well, that's your problem!"

Reviewed 20 August 2011

i happened into the place, had the best corned beef and pastrami sandwich ever (with the best sweet potato fries ever) and have been there for every meal of my week-long visit. a pastrami and egg scramble (they smoke all their meats themselves) to die for, with homemade potato latkes. a great fish-and-chips dish with the best cole slaw i've had (there really isn't a weak link, sides or otherwise,anywhere on the menu), the best sweet sauerkraut ever on their great Reuben. they bake their own bread, of such variety, i've not been able to sample them all.
not to be missed

Reviewed 14 August 2011

Located in smack dab in downtown Jacksonville, MacLevin's was a great place for lunch. This was are first trip to the Ashland, Or area for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and we drove out to seen the sights in Jacksonville. We also wanted to scope out one of the venue for the Britt Music Festival, something else we may do on a future visit.

We were looking at the menu in the window of MacLevin's only to see the owner, Jeff, beckoning us inside. The menu offered a wide selection of typical jewish deli fare, everything from latkes, knishes, smoked whitefish to deli sandwiches. They proudly feature wholesome, natural, organic foods. It seemed like a great place to eat. So we went in.

The interior of the restaurant was small, but comfortable. We were seating quickly and to no surprize our waitress was Jeff's wife, Penelope. We all ordered sandwiches, the corned beef, the pastrami and a turkey BLT, which came with a choice of fries, coleslaw or potato salad. All were generously portioned and very tasty.

In this day and age of chain restaurants finding a family operated jewish deli, run by good, well meaning people, who care what they serve was a breath of fresh air.

1  Thank chriskca