“Great and authentic Thai food in an unexpected location”
Review of Royal Thai Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Royal Thai Restaurant
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 21 April 2015

This restaurant is run by an Oz-NZ ex-pat and his Thai wife. The menu is wide-ranging and uniformly delicious. The portions are large enough that I always end up taking half of it home. The ambiance is a rather spare store-front in an historic Independence building, acoustically lively, with high ceilings, light colors, and small framed pictures on the wall. It's scrupulously clean. The drinks menu is a limited: a few beers and a few wines. The sidewalks roll up early in town: don't expect this place to be open beyond about 8:30.

Reviewed 1 January 2015

We have been here twice, and the Australian owner has made us wish we hadn't. We aren't used to this since we are always polite customers, but the owner treated us so poorly (for no apparent reason) during our second visit that we took the food to go. The food is great, so this is a shame

1  Thank Rojito555
Reviewed 15 November 2014

This restaurant is owned by a couple. She cooks and he serves. I have been there 8 or 9 times and the food has always been good; no complaints there. The service is hit or miss depending on how grumpy the server is that day. Some days he can actually be pleasant, but that's rare indeed. And if he is not in a good mood, he will completely ruin your dining experience. On my last visit there for lunch with some friends he was so rude to everyone that I decided that that was my last time. It's a shame because the food really is good.

1  Thank GizMoSher3
Reviewed 29 September 2014

This is a Jem; good food at a very reasonable price with large (we each took half home) portions. Clean and friendly.

1  Thank Walter K
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My daughter is a student at WOU and this is her favorite place. We have been there numerous times and it is always great food and we really enjoy the owner. I have read of rude behavior but my experience has been just the opposite. My daughter and her friends love the guy. The place doesn't take reservations but I really wanted to make sure we got our whole family in for graduation and he set us up. He even told me that if the ceremony went long, no worries, he would hold it for us.
Again, the food is great. Have enjoyed everything I've tried. Independence/Monmonth doesn't have many choices, but this place is terrific.

2  Thank WKF774