“Best place in the area”
Review of Royal Thai Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Royal Thai Restaurant
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My daughter is a student at WOU and this is her favorite place. We have been there numerous times and it is always great food and we really enjoy the owner. I have read of rude behavior but my experience has been just the opposite. My daughter and her friends love the guy. The place doesn't take reservations but I really wanted to make sure we got our whole family in for graduation and he set us up. He even told me that if the ceremony went long, no worries, he would hold it for us.
Again, the food is great. Have enjoyed everything I've tried. Independence/Monmonth doesn't have many choices, but this place is terrific.

2  Thank WKF774

Reviewed 16 April 2014

When I read reviews like the one I'm about to write I assume the author did something to warrant the treatment. So first and foremost - we didn't. We're polite pleasant folks (and sober, by the way).

My son and I stepped in for an early dinner before we had to be elsewhere, and, as strongly instructed by the sign (with extra arrows and exclamation points), we waited patiently to be seated in the mostly-empty restaurant. Eventually, the one server came out and started to serve someone else who kindly noted that we had been there first. The waiter looked at us sideways, huffed, grabbed a couple of menus, literally threw them on the table, turned his back to us and waved his hand at the table as he walked away. We were taken aback, but sat, looked over the menu and decided what we wanted. My son placed a quick call just before the waiter returned to take our order. As I started to tell him what we wanted, he looked at my son and said, "Oh, you're on the PHONE," as he turned to leave. I said, "No, we're ready," as my son quickly ended the call. But the guy just made a rude comment, waved me off and walked away. We were dumbfounded. After a moment of shock, we picked up our stuff and walked down to Mangiare where we had a lovely, prompt dinner with very pleasant service.

The experience at Royal Thai was bizarre. I know cell phones in restaurants can be irritating, but I truly can't remember ever being treated that rudely - from start (before the phone call) to finish. With that service any food would have been inedible.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Some of the best Thai food around! Enjoy the super fast take out several times a month. The restaurant decor is simple and new, but a little lacking.

1  Thank OregonianTripTaker
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Royal Thai in downtown Independence serves delicious food, has fast and friendly service and is a fabulous value. I have never been disappointed and have eaten there several times.

1  Thank C Y
Reviewed 20 June 2013

and though I certainly respect the opinions of my fellow reviewers, I don't quite share their enthusiasm.

Today was my second visit to Royal Thai. The same New Zealander chap who served me last time was, once again, running the whole front of the house solo. The place was busy and a large contingent of law enforcement folks took up the whole middle section of the dinning room. He nonetheless kept pace with the traffic fairly well I thought. Order to presentation time, for us, was 16 minutes, not at all excessive for prepared to order meals.

I had Gang Mussaman: Mussaman Curry, Coconut Milk, Potato, Carrot, and Onion with Seafood. It was served with a big sculpted mound of White Rice. The Scallops, Shrimp, Mussel and Squid were good. I had commented, on my last visit, that the Squid was a bit overcooked and rubbery. (a complaint that applies, not quite but almost, universally) Not so today. Carol ordered Khoa Pad: Rice, Egg, Onion, Carrot, Peas and Tomato with Shrimp. Her order was to-go as she couldn't eat for an hour or so. She said it was very good, but felt they skimped on the Shrimp.

They've done a nice job on remodeling the historic old building. It's crisp and clean and all in all quite welcoming.

As Thai places go, I'd rate this one and easy B-. Since there are several A places in Salem/Keizer, a special trip here is probably not warranted. But if you're in the area, it's pretty good Thai Food.

1  Thank ChuckBradley