“Not to be missed”

Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum
Ranked #1 of 76 things to do in Hood River
More attraction details
Owner description: The WAAAM Air & Auto Museum has one of the largest collections of still-flying antique aeroplanes and still-driving antique automobiles in the country. The items on display at this museum are not only full of history, they're full of LIFE! Enjoy over two acres of indoor exhibit space.
Reviewed 23 September 2017

We got to Hood River and picked up some brochures. Me being me I had to pick one for an aviation museum. My wife said I think you may want to visit this place. Having been to both Smithsonian museums multiple times and the Museum of the Air Force I figured what could I see in Hood River? On our last day in town my wife suggested that we make a quick stop at this museum. We arrived around 9 AM and she pulled me out kicking and screaming at noon. What did I see in Hood River that I did not see in other museums? CLassic GA aircraft, all flyable, that look like they just came out of the factory. Wacos, Piper Cubs, Stearmans, etc., etc. A one hundred year old Curtiss Jenney that still flies!

Their car collection is also awesome containing my two dream cars, a 1956 Thunderbird and a 1963 Corvette

I cannot recommend ths museum highly enough especially if you are a pilot or an aspiring pilot

Stephanie H, Manager at Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2017

Thank you for the review. Visitors are often surprised at how 'quick stops' to WAAAM can morph into all day adventures. We encourage folks to take the time they need with tickets that are good all day long. Our average visit runs about 2 hours for those that only have a passing curiosity about airplanes, automobiles or history.

All reviews
"answer questions"
in 6 reviews
"well worth the visit"

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

The variety of preWorld War airplane styles as innovators tried new ideas to overcome other problems is interesting. The condition of the ready to fly or drive items is astounding. The passion of the owners and volunteers is really evident, making this a great stop for all ages.

Thank you for reviewing. Many visitors find it hard to imagine that we keep our collection flying and driving so we always like to suggest coming to see us on the Second Saturday of any month. On these days people can touch the past for themselves through our living history collection.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I visited this museum after our Hood River train trip was cancelled. Sorry the trip was cancelled, but also felt fortunate that it provided the opportunity to visit this excellent museum. It has a vast collection and was really very interesting. All the volunteers were well informed and very helpful.

Stephanie H, Manager at Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Thank you for the review. WAAAM is open every single day (except Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Years Day) so no matter the weather we'll be here for you to see and enjoy. With over 3.5 acres of indoor display space we've got something for everyone to enjoy from the story of transportation history.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

This museum is extremely cool! For a person like myself who appreciates antique planes and cars, this place has it all! The coolest feature of WAAAM is that all of the planes in the building have to be able to fly again in order to stay there! The eclectic amount of planes and cars is by far one of the best and very much a place for families and friends to come and enjoy, I work with the community and meet thousands of guests a week and I usually name drop WAAAM multiple times a week for people looking for something cool to do!

1  Thank Rick V

Thank you for reviewing. We really appreciate you spreading the word about WAAAM as folks telling other folks (either in person or on a site like this) is the number one way people find out about us. For those that want to know more our website is a great resource too.

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 September 2017

WAAAM was celebrating its 10th Anniversary with a Fly-in. The event attracted over 500 planes last year, but due to the Eagle Creek Fire in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, attendance was way down. Regardless, we had a great time at the event – in the hangers we saw hundreds of antique planes, gliders, and antique cars, motorcycles, and Military vehicles. Then there was more activity on the airport ramp where we visited the Fly-in planes, and took a ride in a 1914 Ford Model T Depot Hack. Every 2nd Saturday there is a special event, or you can stop in any other day to view this large collection. It a great experience for all, there is even a children’s activity area that our grandchildren thoroughly enjoyed.

Stephanie H, Manager at Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Thank you for the review. The Annual Hood River Fly-In is always the weekend after Labor Day at WAAAM. We were impressed with the number of pilots that braved the weather to attend the 2017 event. As you experienced, on event days that don't have as strong an airplane presence as we'd like, there are still plenty of antique and classic autos to go around and experience.