“Not so "Pet-Friendly" or Even Friendly at All....”
Review of Gearhart Ocean Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gearhart
Gearhart Ocean Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Gearhart B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 March 2012

When I made our reservation over the phone, I was pleasantly surprised by how helpful and nice Melissa was. I had a lot of questions before I booked, and she was very thorough with her answers. My very first question was whether or not they would allow us to bring our three small dogs, since the pet policy says they only allow two. I was fully prepared for her to say no, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Without hesitation, she said it would be fine since they are small. She quoted me prices for the different rooms including different lengths of stay. I decided on a two-night stay in a one-bedroom suite. She said she would only charge me for two pets, which was unexpected , but I thought that was very nice of her! (Little did I know the nightmare this would cause.) She seemed very knowledgable and enthusiastic about the property, and I was very happy with the customer service I received over the phone.

And, yet, the way my husband and I were treated by the (assistant) manager Andrea, during our stay, was so drastically different that I would never come here again and I feel I need to let everyone know how horrible it was. I honestly don't think I have ever been treated so poorly as a customer.

Halfway into our stay, we were stopped in the parking lot by Andrea to tell us that she had charged my card an additional $160. ($60 for the pets she claimed I wasnt charged for and $100 since she discovered, while "servicing" our room, that our dogs had slept on the bed.) She treated me as if I was a liar when I tried to explain that I had been told I was being charged for two pets, and that I had told Melissa we had three. She said she had no record of this and therefore did not believe me. I also explained that my dogs HAD slept on the bed on our own blankets, but that I had been under the impression that this was okay since it says on their website: "If your pet is used to being on the furniture and you cannot dissuade it otherwise, we will provide pet blankets to cover our furniture and beds." I never could get a clear answer from her why we were in violation of the policy since we covered the bed with our own blankets. She was unwillingly to answer my questions or listen to anything I had to say. She cut me off and said she was done talking to me since "I wasn't capable of having an adult conversation." I never would've made a reservation here, had I known how costly it would end up being and how rudely I would be treated. This was supposed to be a relaxing little getaway for my husband and I, but I couldn't even enjoy the rest of it after all of this happened.

Oh, and even though she supposedly came into our room to service it, it hadn't been serviced at all. Nothing had been replaced or cleaned, and the beds were not made. There was no way to even tell that someone had been in our room. Weird, right? I never understood that part. I got the feeling she came into our room just to find something we were doing "wrong" so that she could charge us an extra fee.

Upon checking out, Andrea informed us that she had spoke with Melissa and that Melissa had in fact backed up my story. So, she said she would refund the extra $60 in pet fees she had charged me, but I received no apology for the way she had treated me the day before.

I just want others to be warned about this place. The customer service is horrendous. We have stayed at many pet-friendly hotels, and have never run into any problems until staying here. I really think it would be best for them to stop advertising as a "pet-friendly" inn. If you do plan on staying here with your pet, I suggest planning on paying at least an extra $100 on top of everything else you've already paid. We were so careful to clean up after ourselves and went above and beyond, making our beds, folding any towels we had used, and thoroughly cleaning the kitchen before checking out. This was not the relaxing vacation I had hoped for at all, and I left feeling more drained and exhausted than when I came.

On a side note, I think it's worth mentioning that Distinctive Beach Lodgings really sold themselves short by treating us this way. I had planned on telling my family and friends about this place. Based on how nice I thought the websites were and my interaction with Melissa, I had anticipated that I would love it here, planned on staying at the three other Distinctive Beach Lodgings properties, and was going to suggest one to my mom as the location for a family reunion. In the end, Distinctive Beach Lodgings made an extra $100 by handling things the way they did, but they lost out on any future business from my family, friends, and me.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Julie S
DBLGearhartOregon, Manager at Gearhart Ocean Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2012

First and foremost, I encourage travelers to read the many glowing reviews before this one.

We are sad to receive such a negative review about our long standing, positive pet friendly property, but feel compelled to respond. I am the Assistant Manager and have been in customer service for 20 yrs and feel I represent myself and the properties I help run with the highest level of integrity. This particular situation left me sad, upset and speechless at some times. Our guests are the reason we are here and we strive to treat each with a level of respect that we hope to receive in return.

We are “indeed” a dog friendly property. We welcome dogs to our properties with the agreement that their owners take responsibility for them while enjoying their time at the beach. We take extra efforts to clean pet rooms accordingly. Our guest rooms are immaculate when you enter them and it is our job to make sure it is that way for the following guest’s arrival. We have a very descriptive “pet agreement” our guests sign at check in and receive a copy of. We also provide pet baskets to the rooms with a pet coverlet, towel, bowl & treats for their dogs. The basket has additional literature which reiterates the pet agreement.

I feel I must make note of a few things the guest failed to mention in the review.

The dogs in question were 3 small dogs that were NOT house trained. The room consisted of soiled puppy pads in the living room and bedroom. The soiled pads were in the room at the time a service was to be done. The pet blanket used by the guest was a very small plush pet bed that didn’t fully cover the bottom of the smaller twin bed. The excess hair was not only on the blanket and duvet cover but on the pillows and in the sheets. The guest was emailed full disclosure of the charges after departure and inspection of the room. The carpet was soiled and needed to be professionally cleaned. All bedding had to be removed of hair and placed separately in our washing machines and dryers. This took our housekeeping staff additional time and effort in order for the room to meet our high standards.

To answer the guests questions:

Question: Why was service not completed to the room?

Answer: I responded to the guest directly as to why the room was not completely serviced which was mostly due to the unsanitary conditions of the room and the soiled puppy pads on the carpets resulting in a strong odor. The beds were not made because their personal items were on the bed and we respect the items of our guest enough to never touch or move them from their original place. The 2 towels on the floor were removed but not replaced since the guest had been there only 1 night and the room was stocked fully for 3 people for 2 nights.

Question: Why was their confusion about the pet charges?

Answer: The guest was told at the time of reservation we would only charge for 2 pets as a courtesy since they were small. These notes were not in place when I approached the guest about having 3 pets in the room. In fact, after further review and conversation with the person who made their reservation, we only charged the guest for 1 pet. I thoroughly explained the charges to the guest and told her that it was our error and even though 3 pets were in fact in the room we would never go back on what we originally quoted her.

Question: Pets being allowed on furniture if you cannot dissuade them?

Answer: The guest did in fact utilize our provided pet coverlets for the living room furniture. However, no additional coverlets were asked for to aide in keeping the dog hair off the beds upstairs. The guests had a very small ineffective pet bed that covered a small portion of the bottom of the twin bed. The pillows, sheets, blankets and designer duvet were covered in dog hair. I did explain to the guest that she had misinterpreted the wording on the website. It did not offer free reign for pets to be on the furniture. I reiterated they did not adhere to the online statement or the signed pet agreement.

I do need to acknowledge the guest’s husband who apologized for the state of the room and approached me in a calm, cool and respectful manner. We talked about finding a compromise based on final inspection of the room. I was pleased he was able to take some responsibility for their untrained pets. I am confident we did our part in honoring the quoted price for the pets but did not refund the cleaning fee.

I hope that future guests see this post and understand how much pride we take in our rooms. And to the travelers with pets, we will continue to welcome you and your furry canine friends into our lovely properties.

Andrea Burch
Assistant Manager
Gearhart Ocean Inn

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed here while visiting the Crab Festival in Astoria. Gearthart Ocean Inn is located in a quiet golf neighborhood. We loved how it was a quick drive from Portland; making it an ideal getaway place.

The room included a comfortable King-size bed. The bedding was warm and clean. The room was cozy and included a sink, cable tv, pot belly oven, and updated bathroom. Parking is right out front, just like a motel. We bought our dog for $30 pet fee. The pet fee included a basket of dog-friendly items like treats and a blanket.

The Inn is across the street from a very popular breakfast and bakery. Go early or expect lines. Their pastries are warm, flaky and hits the spot. One afternoon, we went to McMenamins Sandtrap for Happy Hour. The McMenamins is about 1/2-mile away.

The beach is a short walk from the Inn and a great place to burn off the calories from breakfast! Gearhart is a small, quaint town, so the beach is expansive and uncrowded. During our run south, toward bustling Seaside, we cross a lot of dead crabs being picked over by the seagulls. It was neat.

We recommend Gearhart Ocean Inn to our friends. A couple went and weren't disappointed one bit. :)

They have other rooms for families, I think those sleep 4. Happy travels!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2012

What a wonderful little place. Came here for a retreat and was pleasantly suprised our Clean and Cute the room was. Gas Fireplace, Kitchenette and nice bathroom. I will bring the wife back here for a little trip. It would be a very romatic get-a-way! The staff was exceptionally professional and Friendly. Well worth the small amount they ask for.

Room Tip: I stayed in room #3
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 November 2011

My husband and I spent Sunday and Monday nights at the Gearhart Ocean Inn and LOVED it. Our room was charming, cozy, and comfortable. The Franklin stove warmed the room very nicely, the bed was very comfortable, the two bedside lamps were bright enough for reading (we've found this to be a problem in other hotels), and everything worked.

We enjoyed the special touches of hospitality: saltwater taffy, sparkling cider, microwave popcorn, and hot chocolate packets, in addition to Torrefazione coffee and several kinds of tea. Reading materials were on the bedside tables, and an emergency kit for power outages was in the dresser. There were plenty of hooks in the bedroom and bathroom for clothes and towels. Really, nothing was overlooked! It was a perfect getaway for two worn-out people who just needed to relax.

A fairly large DVD library is available at no charge, and wireless internet is free in the rooms. There is a large garden area with tables, chairs, and a fire pit.

The office staff was welcoming and helpful. Melissa was on duty most of the time we were there, and she answered my numerous questions about the area patiently and with a smile.

I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in an end unit, and there was no one in the room next to us--so we had the peace and quiet...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carolbookwoman
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I love visiting gearhart. The grassy beach, the bakery and nearby golf course. Everything is right there for a weekend getaway. There is even a small store if you need supplies. The rooms reminded me of Cape Cod and were really comfortable. We even brought our pets. We drive in from Portland and this is a great place to land if you are like us and trying to avoid staying in Cannon Beach with all the tourists.

• Stayed: August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gearhart
0.8 km away
3.3 km away
City Center Motel
City Center Motel
#18 of 27 in Seaside

Been to Gearhart Ocean Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK