“Birthday Dinner”

Price range: US$ 4 - US$ 28
Cuisines: American, European, French
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The world is a village, welcome to ours. We are a european village-inspired restaurant featuring pre-prohibition cocktails, a small but growing wine list and local craft beers and spirits. We look forward to seeing you.
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

My friend was in town from Seattle and wanted to treat me to dinner, so I decided to try Rye.
We had salmon cakes, salad and a lamb dish, all were excellent.
The atmosphere was surprisingly pleasant. The outside appearance wasn’t as interesting as the inside.

Reviewed 25 April 2018

Went here on a raw late-winter / early spring day. Had a great soup and salad combo with a friend. Wait staff was friendly and we were able to hang out as long as we wanted with no pressure. The only downside is that the location is a bit awkward.

Reviewed 12 April 2018

Rye has always been a favorite and I mostly go there for lunch. Recently I had the grilled salmon, which they have offered before. Delicious....well-cooked and seasoned. And, I’ll order it again if it’s on the menu. Rye is relatively quiet as restaurants go these days. It is possible to have a conversation! I cannot indulge, but their desserts are chocolate bites of different flavors. A perfect size.

Reviewed 10 March 2018

It has great food, fabulous drinks and a wonderful atmosphere. The service has always been consistently good. it is my go to place.

1  Thank celly2018
Reviewed 11 February 2018

I went to dinner on 2/10/18 around 530pm. There is good parking and decent lighting in the lot. Despite the fact that Coburg rd is right there, once you're inside, you can't hear the traffic. There is outside dining for those who want it. There are plenty of small tables and a sizeable bar. The lighting is romantic (or perhaps moody). It is a bit dim and several people were using their cell phones to light up the menu. The table tops are covered with copper. It looks really cool. The bartenders really did a great job. They knew what they were doing. The host must have been brand new. He didn't have a clue about what was going on. I could tell. After being seated I waited nearly 20 minutes before the waitress finally asked me when my party was going to arrive. I guess the host didn't tell her I was 1-for-dinner. She felt pretty bad about that and got right on the ball.

The menus are small. But there is good variety in what they do offer. There is a menu for bottles of wine, a menu for cocktails & glasses of wine, a meal menu, and a desert menu. Bring your reading glasses and a light source. The selections were mouth watering. It's darn hard to find some of the dishes they are offering.

I decided to keep it simple and had the New York strip steak with Duck fat mashed potatoes, and Broccoli. It was absolutely fantastic. The duck fat is rendered down and strained. The juice is added to the mashed potatoes. OH MY GOD. It rocks the house. The veggies were perfectly cooked. The steak was properly cooked. They do not over cook their steaks like most other restaurants do. So if you want medium rare, go ahead and order medium rare. I also had a cocktail, and a glass of Merlot with dinner. Do NOT to use steak sauce on the steak. It will ruin the steak. It comes with a sauce already, and the potatoes also act as a sauce. A1 doesn't hold a candle to this thing.

I skipped the desert. But there are 3 pages of mouthwatering confections that are pared with alcohols.

All in all the restaurant had good staff coverage.

The place has a relaxed cosmopolitan feel to it and there were many couples of all ages enjoying each others company. The bartenders engaged them and smiled.

Small children will be restless in such an adult place. Leave them with a sitter if you're gonna visit this place.

The bathrooms are marked Water-closet. No biggie but someone might get confused.

The bill was $50.00 with tip. Not bad for what you get.

The only things I'd ding this place for are: (1) Poor communication between the host(ess) & wait staff. (2) large groups will have a hard time getting reservations here. (3) Low lighting. And (4), the plates are oversized and make the entree look much smaller than it really is. In reality, the portion size was good.

I'm glad I tried the place and look forward to bringing friends and family there. Thanks for a really good meal.

1  Thank Tim S

Been to Rye? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK