“Excellent Bbq”

Burt's chuckwagon
Ranked #9 of 14 Restaurants in Dundee
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 21 May 2016 via mobile

Came in on a whim. We were in the area for a wedding. They were very accommodating, even though we ordered a large amount (enough to feed 20 ppl). There were no complaints from the bunch and the portions were huge. Definitely a must try in the area.

Reviewed 12 April 2016

When this place was a mobile chuckwagon in Dundee, I couldn't sing it's praises enough. The food was great, and it didn't take too long to come out. Since they've moved to Newberg at their brick and mortar location, I've been severely disappointed. The staff there is extremely unhelpful, and Burt himself can be seen on any given day ignoring customers, being rude to his staff, and just sitting on his phone. When he isn't there, his staff is also on their phones instead of welcoming people and I've even had to wait to place an order until someone noticed I was there. The food has also changed. I don't know if it's because they need to cook so much more in advance or what, but I noticed a steep decrease in taste quality since they moved to Newberg. The brisket is dry and requires a thorough drenching in sauce to be good, whereas it used to be moist with no sauce needed. It's still the best place in town for BBQ, but it's not what it used to be.

Reviewed 27 March 2016

Went to the place on Villa a few weeks ago and liked it ok. I am at home recovering for surgery so we thought it might be good to get takeout so we didn't have to cook. That was a bad idea. I had the brisket and ribs with sides of beans and macaroni. When I opened the box, I got three bites of brisket. ONLY THREE BITES! The rib was so over cooked that I was able to peel two bites out of it that I could actually chew. My wife and son both had burgers, and they both said they were like cardboard. Definitely cooked from a frozen patty and they sat for a little while before they were served. I liked the place the first time I went there, but the food we got tonight was not edible. I will not be spending my money there again. I wish someone would open a good BBQ place in Newberg.

Reviewed 4 March 2016

I stopped into this inauspicious location on my why to see the coast, and new BBQ is something I am always willing to experience. The brisket was done fairly traditional Texas style, though chopped a bit differently and had a good mixture of fat and seasoning to compliment the meat. I have to say however that this was some of the best Slaw I had ever had. So fresh and flavorful, almost fruity. The beans were also textured great, and a chuckwagon style, very sweet. The people were very friendly, and the restaurant is clean- a great stop, or dinner destination for a great tasting and affordable meal !

Reviewed 2 July 2015 via mobile

I was nervous to try this place. I make smoked meat on a regular basis that has own multiple awards and so I'm extremely picky about my BBQ. After being disgusted with a BBQ joint in Newberg, I passed by this stand in Dundee and recently stopped for a visit. I got their brisket, which is the most technical meat they had on their menu. When I got it they had sliced it up into small strips and covered in sauce instead of the traditional long, pencil-width strips, but that's neither here nor there. The cook was great on it, tender, with some fat still left on it. They really nailed this. For those of you who like the "other" BBQ place in Newberg, come try real BBQ here that hasn't been smothered in liquid smoke.
The sides were the only slightly disappointing part. The flavor of the beans was slightly off, and the coleslaw was average, especially when paired with their meat.
I hear they're moving locations to a Newberg storefront, I hope they do well, and you would do well to give them a try.

1  Thank Evan B

Been to Burt's chuckwagon? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK