“I wouldn't use the word "Resort"” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort

Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Depoe Bay
Bend, Oregon
“I wouldn't use the word "Resort"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel was alright, seen better days, needs some upgrading, seriously need to rechaulk bathrooms. The housekeeper didn't check refrigerator, there was old milk and pizza in our fridge.
The rooms have newer flat screens, but they are on a dresser way away from bed across from kitchen counter area, should be a couch or something if you're going to put it there, our my suggestion would be to mount it over the fireplace in those rooms. Its a decent place, has some ammenities and is on the water, but having stayed at resorts like the Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Hilton Waikoloa Village, this is NOT a resort!
The "seafood buffet" was pretty lousy. Food just wasn't very good. Shrimp overcooked, crab was served cold but with melted butter?
We booked a weekend and according to their website it was winter rates, got there and found out that starting Saturday, it was spring break increased rate. We don't have kids, just went because it was supposed to be whale migration. They should have told us it was change rates on us. That wasn't cool at all. That said, it's decent, pretty clean. Nice location, steps down to a nice beach area and allows pets in some rooms. Has a pool and hot tub, which I can't comment on as we didn't use them, it was too crowded.

1 Thank trex97701
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Oregon City, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

First, the one good thing about this hotel is the location. It has a beautiful view. Now the bad parts. We rented two adjoining rooms. They were quite outdated which we could overlook rather easily. However, the floors had large stains, and trim around the doors was just hanging there and looked as if someone had tried breaking in the rooms several times. One of the bathrooms had a tub that would barely drain, a non-functioning fan, and had approx 40-50 quarter sized black mold spots all over the walls. Can we really be the only ones that could see that? House cleaning missed large areas of black mold on white paint growing over a period of time? Then there is the restaurant. They force a 15% gratuity on you while not telling you. We were tipping 15% based on our total and they never told us that they had already hit us for 15%. They also tell you that they give a 10% discount if you are staying at the hotel. We presented our keycard and after reviewing our receipts they always "forgot", 30 seconds later, to take the 10% off. When getting takeout once they hit us for 15%, which I again had already tipped 15% (and yes they forgot to take off the 10% after I showed my room key again). I asked why I was paying a gratuity when I did not even eat in the restaurant. They said it is on the menu, but I did not use the menu for takeout. I knew what I wanted. When I told them I already tipped and I was tired of this, and they said it is not really a gratuity but actually a cost for handling the food and putting it in a Styrofoam container. I asked if people who were using the dishes and wait-staff were being charged an additional 15% for the exact same takeout container. They had no answer. They gave me a $5 credit on my $60 bill which also was hit for 30% of gratuities. They will hit you for premium prices on everything but deliver mediocre product. Save $800 and go somewhere, anywhere, else.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Chris K
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

My wife and I recently spent three days at the Surfrider Resort in Depoe Bay Oregon. The hotel offers outstanding views of the pacific ocean. We were lucky enough to have stayed at the hotel during a winter storm. Watching the wave crashing on the beach from the comfort of our room was great!

We were met cheerfully at the front desk and the service was excellent. Our room was equipped with large windows overlooking the ocean, a balcony, a fireplace, microwave oven, small refrigerator, and a jacuzzi tub. All were in good working order.

As we arrived late we sample the restaurant which we found to be adequate but not outstanding.

If you are looking for a place to stay with a spectacular view of the ocean then this is the place for you. Great views, well appointed,and oh yes at a very reasonable price point.

Room Tip: For the best views of the pacific ocean pick an upper floor.
1 Thank upgraded.z
Salem, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here before and left feeling that the good outweighed the bad. The interior is in despite need of updating but the staff was friendly and accommodating. Sadly this trip the room was dirty, large stains on the comforter and a shower and couch we didn't even want to sit on. We booked online on the companies website and got checked into a room different then what we had asked for, when we spoke to the front desk we were informed not to utilize the website, that it was our fault, nothing they could do. When we tried to use the toilet it would not flush. The manager joined us for two hours of our anniversary while he tried to unclog to toilet. There is nothing romantic about listening to the man plunge your toilet for two hours. Once it was fixed the manager made no apologies or offered any change in room or service.

They are monopolizing a gorgeous beach with a dated hotel and terrible customer service. We will never be back.

Room Tip: Apparently they do not honor anything booked or sold online on their website or any other call in.
4 Thank B S
bc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We had a 1 bedroom suite! fabulous view watching the powerful waves in action! watch out for the hidabed! I only recommend kids to sleep on these beds, not for adults ...we rolled it out for comfort to watch TV... it was the worst hidabed I have ever been on ...LOL
It was a great storm watching weekend! Happy hour at the bar was under staffed! 1 person serving
25 people is not good customer service. Breakfast in the restaurant was great! Seafood Omelette was great! Service was good! The bar and restaurant are great viewing rooms of the beach and waves! I thought the room variety and rates are a fare price! I recommend this resort for a great weekend or midweek get away!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
9.9 km away
Inn at Otter Crest
Inn at Otter Crest
#1 of 2 in Otter Rock

Been to Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK