“Never going back”
Review of Brew BQ - CLOSED

Brew BQ
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Corvallis, Oregon
“Never going back”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

It took 30 minutes to get our food, and it wasn't busy yet. By the time we got it, it was cold. An "I'm sorry" did not help. Cold food. Did not replace the food that they admitted had been sitting in the back "forgotten". Brisket had that "old meat" taste, probably more noticeable since it was so cold. Sauce was nothing to write home about. Obviously, not worth the money or the parking hassle.

• Visited March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Walla Walla, Washington
“Friendly service & clean!”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We were greeted by the friendly cashier who explained the menu, which we appreciated since this was our first visit. I had had some of the BBQ when they had it at Flat Tail next door and was looking forward to it.

I had brisket, a salmon skewer, baked beans, hush puppies, fries and a beer. (Yes, I took some home for later.) They have 5 sauces to try. I thought the brisket was tender and I liked sauce #1. The hush puppies had a nice texture to them, but not a lot of flavor. The dipping sauce was good. I liked the curly tails aka fries with their little bit of spice. The salmon skewer was OK, not a lot of flavor besides salmon. The beans were weird. They weren't bad or good, but they were weird. 2 of my friends had the sandwiches, one chicken and one pork and both said they were good. I tried the scalloped sweet potatoes and they just tasted like pumpkin pie. They did have a good beer and bourbon assortment as well.

The restaurant was clean. And it was serve yourself with flatware and pop. They call your name when your food is ready, but it's often hard to hear because the music can be loud and the music is AWFUL. Some kind of country western crap.

Overall, we thought this place was OK. I might come back but I will probably give it a few months or more since the just opened. Oh, and they are now open for lunch.

• Visited February 2012
Oregon
“Very Disappointing.”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I just tried Brew BQ for the 1st time for our New Years Eve supper. I ordered brisket, pork shoulder, a rack of spares and hush puppies to go. I was very disappointed in most of it. I was so stoked to finally have a barbeque option in Corvallis.
First the pork shoulder. I would love to relate my opinion of it, but they didn’t put any in my order. I called the phone number on the card they gave me and it had been changed or disconnected.
The brisket: I asked for it extra lean and it was anything but. It was mostly fat. There were pieces that still had the 2” thick fat cap on them. I don’t think there was one piece that didn’t require removing at least 50% fat. It was obviously all from the deckle, which is the fattiest part of a brisket.
The ribs: They are spares. Again, very fatty, but properly trimmed and prepared they are delicious. These did not even have the membrane removed. If you have never cooked ribs there is a membrane on the concave side of the rack that never gets tender, prevents the rub from seasoning the meat, and must be removed. Not to remove it is a rookie mistake and an unforgivable travesty.
Neither the brisket nor the ribs had a good flavor. The rub they used was terrible. There was no sweetness to it. A rub for pork needs to contain some sugar. This one had little or none.
The sauces: They have 5. A sweet sticky one, a hot smoky one, a blueberry bourbon, a mustard based and a vinegar Carolina style. They were all OK but nothing special.
The hushpuppies: They were the best thing we tried, but still needed a little salt and more onions.
In retrospect, they may have done me a favor by neglecting to put the pork shoulder I paid for in our order.
I have been a barbeque aficionado for 30 years and have eaten Q from all over this country. I have also been making my own Q for 30 years. I’ll have to say that this is some of the worst I’ve ever had. If this is Pacific Northwest style barbeque as they claim then they can keep it. Give me Texas, Memphis, Kansas city, Carolina or anything from my own backyard any day.
If you enjoy paying for meat that doesn’t taste good and is at least 50% fat, then this is the place for you.

• Visited December 2011