“Classic old time cafe, but don't be in a hurry...”
Review of Wheel Cafe & Art Gallery - CLOSED

Wheel Cafe & Art Gallery
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed 15 August 2015

Stopped in for a simple light and quick bite to eat on the way to Crater Lake and with a gas stop next door it was handy. Orders a diet Pepsi and the 1/2 sandwich and salad off of the Senior menu. My ham sandwich was ample and the meat was hand carved which was a nice touch. Then the wait began..... After waiting for 15 minutes or so after asking for the check, we finally stepped up to the counter and asked for the check so we could pay and leave. Sigh...

I wouldn't avoid the establishment, but be prepared for a longer than expected stay.

Date of visit: August 2015

Reviewed 11 August 2015

Along the US 97 corridor, in Oregon, there’s many small towns with many restaurants and Hotels. I enjoy eating and lodging at many of them as well. However, I’ve noticed a growing trend of inconsistent service with some of the restaurants. One of these being their hours of operation. There’s a few places that I will no longer go to because of this. I would count on stopping at a place, knowing their hours of service and when I get there, they’re closed. It’s like they open when they want nowadays. Now, I can add the “Wheel Café” to my (rimes with bucket) list. Wait a minute . . . not the Wheel Café but rather, KJ’s Café. In fact, I went regularly to the Wheel Café a few years ago and it was excellent. However, this was before I was a Trip Advisor reviewer so I couldn’t contribute to their established, excellent, local reputation. Now, it’s under new ownership and called KJ’s. My issue with this new crew isn’t the hours however. In fact they’re actually pretty consistent. It’s because of the most important issue of all, attitude, and it’s quite different from the old crew. These new guys have all the appearance and mannerisms of people on a work release program. I can imagine them signing in at a halfway house at the end of their work shift. Then, I can have an active imagination. One thing I didn’t imagine was the “upside down,” faded, Tripadvisor sign. What does it mean when a flag is displayed upside down? Veterans know this well, it’s a distress call and this café desperately needs help. In spite of all this, I’m still giving points for the décor which seems to have survived the transition to the new management.

Date of visit: August 2015
1  Thank Don C
Reviewed 19 July 2015 via mobile

Nice, casual place. They make their own pies and pastries. Their blt on sourdough was excellent, fresh tomatoes and lettuce, the bacon was crispy. The staff was friendly and at times funny.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed 12 July 2015 via mobile

Stopped here to eat after leaving Bend. Very attentive service. The food was a little slow but the place was full. Food was good. Cute, hometown feel!

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed 27 June 2015 via mobile

Good food nice people beats subway any day! This place makes road trips fun. Glad we stopped and so was the server , he told us!!! top that

Date of visit: June 2015