“GOOD Food”

Ranked #13 of 53 Restaurants in Cannon Beach
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 22
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner
Description: Offering a healthy choice at the coast. Many vegetarian and Gluten free options. House smoked pork and meat options also available. At dinner Cajun/Creole dishes are featured plus local Northwest ingredients. Live music nightly in the Wine Bar.
Reviewed 5 January 2018

This small and very casual restaurant is off the beaten path, and deserves an appreciation for the small staff, with carefully selected and freshly prepared menus.
Small plates, tapas, and fine wines with very personally prepared plates is worth
a visit. We repeat this with an annual visit.

Mrsilverfox, Owner at Sweet Basil's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2018

thank you for your review. I'm a little confused as it seemed you enjoyed your visit, the staff and food but only gave one star which is the lowest rating which really hurts our overall ratings? Did we do something that didn't meet your standards? In any case thank you for your positive remarks

Chef John

Reviewed 3 January 2018

We read the reviews, as well as read about them from their own perspective. I think we all look for not only fresh food, cleanliness, friendliness, but also value when we are choosing where to dine, whether it be breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even an expresso or latte. It's very much about the service, atmosphere, and value.

The menu we saw did not look the same as the one we saw online. There were many items missing, but had already been seated.

The people here couldn't have been more pleasant. The decor is really unique, very artistic. I've never seen a table or booth that pretty. It's off the beaten path, so it was very quiet when we were there.

The food was prepared very carefully, and with quality ingredients on the sandwiches we ordered. We visit Cannon Beach every year, so this was a first time at Sweet Basil's. It was in between the Christmas and New Year's holidays. Perhaps the menu is scaled back because there are not as many people expected to be visiting at this time of year.

With that said, I would go there if I wanted more of a snack, or very light lunch, in between a late breakfast and dinner reservations. I cannot recommend this restaurant for when you are wanting a lunch that you will pay more for than other very good establishments in the area, and receive a very light fare with only a few round cornchips and a "sample cup" of an oil and vinegar based slaw.

I would recommend to this establishment that they hold the chips, hold the sample cup of slaw, and make a fuller presentation on the main item. Add a choice of pickle or olives on the side at no extra charge, or a few slices of fresh apple, pineapple, melon, or something that offers eye appeal and doesn't give the impression of being cheap. The chips might be a great idea as a complimentary item prior to the main dish, perhaps with a small sample cup of mango or cilantro salsa. I give these recommendations because I feel this little cafe has a lot of potential, and they are very nice people.

I see many positive reviews, and sometimes it can just be an off time for an establishment, and not the norm, so I gave it 3 stars instead of 2 stars.

My hope is that the owners of this little cafe will benefit from well intentioned comments from someone who has a high standard, but fair, when parting with their dollars to enjoy in return, a delicious meal at a good value, and leaving with a feeling of time and money well spent.

Thank Elvin and Doree... D
Mrsilverfox, Owner at Sweet Basil's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

Thank you for your review and visiting Sweet Basils. I'm really confused because I checked our web page and on premise menu and the only item we removed was the shrimp roll. I wasn't really happy with the way we were serving it and felt we should not keep it on the menu for now. As for the size of both our lunch dishes and dinner we probably give our guests the most bank for a buck. We load all our sandwiches way beyond normal and have very positive response to them. The slaw and chips i thought were a great addition to our plates. The slaw is an old southern mayo free recipe the get excellent marks from diners, as we do not have a fryer the chips, which are also gluten free, are asked for all the time. Again I'm truly sorry we fell short on some of your expectations we are working up some menu changes and additions and truly hope you will revisit.

Regards,

John sowa
chef/owner

Reviewed 30 December 2017

Sweet Basil's Cafe is one of the four best restaurants in CB (the others being EVOO, Stephanie's and Newman's). Amazing how the chef can crank out such good food in such a small kitchen. The jambalaya is absolutely delicious and authentic. My wife had the baked eggplant sandwich which she said was wonderful. When in CB, we have at least a couple of meals at SBC. The wine list, by the glass is also impressive.

2  Thank DandPinWA
Mrsilverfox, Owner at Sweet Basil's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2018

Thank you for your very nice review. We really enjoy hearing from our guests and am happy you enjoyed your visit. Hope to see you back again.
thanks
Chef John

Reviewed 22 November 2017 via mobile

Some of the best food I've ever had. We were going to go Castaways because it was highly recommended, but the wait was over an hour, so we tried our second choice, Sweet Basil's. It's a small place, but the food was Amazing! I can't wait to go back. My mouth still waters thinking about it. And we loved the live music. It created a nice atmosphere for a beautiful night.

3  Thank Patrick M
Mrsilverfox, Owner at Sweet Basil's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2017

Thanks for your nice review and I'm happy you had a chance to dine with us. I guess it was to be!
thanks again
John Sowa
chef/owner

Reviewed 17 November 2017

My wife had the mac/cheese with crab and I had the seafood jambalaya. Both were delicious. The jambalaya was excellent but spicy so be warned.

3  Thank ORState
Mrsilverfox, Owner at Sweet Basil's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

Thanks so much for your positive review. It's always great to hear we did good!
Hope to see you again.