“Excellent food, superb service”
Review of Newmans at 988

Newmans at 988
Ranked #6 of 53 Restaurants in Cannon Beach
Price range: US$ 40 - US$ 60
Cuisines: French, Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed the tomato Gorgonzola soup, greens salad with goat cheese, pear and walnuts to start. For entrees we had the salmon with a dab of caviar which came with risotto and vegetables and the duck a l'orange which came with a dab of fois gras, polenta and vegetables which included sliced turnips and carrots and slices of turnips and some spinach. I asked that my duck be prepared medium well instead of the usual medium rare and they accommodated me. It was delicious although I would have enjoyed a bit more l'orange flavor in the reduction. For desert the house made raspberry sorbet and peanut butter gelato with house baked cookies were excellent. We enjoyed Oregon red blend and Pinot Gris wines by the glass. Our tab was $146 for the two of us, including two glasses of wine each and since we were celebrating our anniversary well worth the food, ambience and oh so excellent service.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

An elegant cottage restaurant with unique items. We had salmon and loved it. Very good service too. Convenient to SurfSand Hotel.

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

My wife stopped in the area for a night after dropping one of kids at college. Given how tight rooms were at the nicer places in the area, I made reservations a few days in advance and we're glad I did. Newman's is located on the Main Street in Cannon Beach in a small 100 year old home with limited seating. While categorized as fine dining, the bill was roughly $100 for the two of us with one alcoholic drink and one dessert. The starters and salads are limited, but there were many good entrees that would appeal to many. My wife had a steak dish and I had a rack of lamb which we both loved. Besides meat, the menu include a few fish and pasta entrees.

2  Thank Dan H
Reviewed 25 August 2017

Probably the most 'formal' of our meals while in Cannon Beach and I say that in a coastal context because it was not fancy (I wore flip flops and felt in place) but the food, presentation and ambiance are very nice. Had scallops and lamb and both were fantastic. Could be the best lamb I've ever had. Great wine list.

Reviewed 25 August 2017

A true French restaurant. Be sure to make reservations. Love the pork and fig sauce. Save room for a wide selection of desserts.