We just stayed 3 nights at the Ocean Lodge in #207, a king/dormer room with floor-to-ceiling windows and sliding glass doors leading to a good-sized, private deck. The lodge has a fabulous location, right at the beach with Haystack Rock in full view. All that stands between guest and beach is an easy set of steps right next to the lodge. It's actually right next door to The Stephanie Inn, which is a very upscale property that offers a few more amenities but costs significantly more (like $150+ more for a similar room). It's a nice beach for walking; if you don't care about getting your feet wet or bring boots you can walk along the beach all the way to downtown Cannon Beach.
The staff members were uniformly efficient, accommodating and extremely pleasant. Everything was quite tidy. The lodge incorporates a lot of wood and wood trim and it was kept in very good shape. The small reception area has a big fireplace and a couple of comfy leather chairs.
Room 207 at Ocean Lodge is very nicely sized, comfortably laid out and well furnished, with a full-size very comfy sofa, big wicker trunk/coffee table, round table w/2 chairs suitable for in-room dining or laptop using, king sized bed with LOTS of pillows (we had 8 in our room!), chest of drawers, etc. There was a wet bar area which included a microwave and small fridge, coffeemaker w/all supplies, mugs, plates, etc. We had a full size gas fireplace and in the niche above that was a large, newish flatscreen TV plus a DVD player. DVDs from a large library - 200+ - are available for checkout from the front desk at no extra charge. (Although they do charge $1 a bag for popcorn, which seemed kind of silly. Hey, why not put a bag or two in the room with the coffee supplies and charge for extras?) The bathroom, although not luxuriously decorated (the counter was formica) is good-sized and has a very large, jetted tub and a separate shower. Plenty of nice towels and adequate little amenities.
There is a decent cold breakfast included with the room rate. It's set up in a nice upstairs area with seating for maybe 20 people, and they make it easy to take stuff back to your room by providing rimmed trays. They offered a few different cereals, including a pretty good granola, yogurt, a couple types of fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, bagels, coffee cake and, oddly, apple pie. They feature Sleepy Monk coffee, a very good brew from a locally based roaster. (By the way, the Sleepy Monk coffee house in town is great with really nice people, good espresso drinks, fantastic baked goods, and there is a wonderful little dinner restaurant - The Irish Table - that's part of the same business.)
In addition to the DVD library, Ocean Lodge has a lot of books and games available for guests' use. They don't have a fitness center but do offer guests a day pass to the local gym in town. They also permit pets in a few of the rooms and we saw several guests who had come with their (very happy) dogs. We were never bothered by pet or people noise. We did have some fairly entertaining weather - lots of rain, a fair amount of hail, some snow and what we thought were pretty high winds (apparently not high by local standards). None of this detracted from our stay.
We would definitely come back to Ocean Lodge but only if we could get one of the ocean view rooms. What's the point of staying at the beach if you can't see the water? Just like the much more expensive Stephanie Inn next door, probably half or fewer of the rooms have a water view.
PS If you want to snack or even nuke up a light meal in your room, might want to think about bringing groceries with you. The "big" market in Cannon Beach is dark, depressing and not very well stocked. The 1st thing we noticed about it was the big sign that said they were not accepting employment applications. How cheery.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ocean Lodge is ocean front and top drawer without being pretentious while exuding beach culture at every turn. Views from the hotel are breathtaking. The guest rooms are warm and welcoming, and the lobby with it's massive river rock fireplace blazing is always inviting. The Lodge staff are consummate service professionals. Overlooking famed Haystack Rock and the scenic Oregon coast, the Ocean Lodge offers its guests fireplaces in all guest rooms, wireless internet access, a casual breakfast buffet, home-baked cookies, is in close proximity to boutique shopping, art galleries, and restaurants, in a convenient location. Pet friendly rooms are available. You will check-out feeling relaxed, refreshed and rejuvenated. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your The Ocean Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ocean Hotel Cannon Beach
- Ocean Hotel Cannon Beach
- Ocean Lodge Cannon Beach Or