“We are hooked!”

McMenamins Old St. Francis School
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Bend
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This is our first stay at a Mcmenimens hotel and it was a blast! I'm very critical, ask anyone, and the staff is THE friendliest and most helpful we have encountered. (and we've stayed at hotels in many places, in many countries). We had our toddler with us so naturally things are more complicated. The staff went out of their way on many occasions to make us comfortable. We loved the soaking pool, room service that is the same price as eating at the restaurants(!) and the fresh ground coffee each morning on our doorstep. This place has a homey feel to it, like youre in a cabin with a bunch of friends. We didn't like the room decor, but it didn't matter because everything else was lovely! We have already booked another weekend stay at another Mcmenimens hotel and we can't wait! This is going to be our go-to hotel! We suggest booking weeks to months ahead as they get booked up fast.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Isabellababy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

The moment we arrived at the front desk, we were welcomed warmly. Although we requested a queen room, we were upgraded to a king room as the hotel was sold out of queen rooms. This hotel has a lot to offer in the way of pubs, theater, entertainment, soaking pool, and delightful employees. Our room was a former classroom transformed into a comfortable hotel room with unique wooden cabinetry and a beautiful bathroom. A newspaper and french roast coffee grounds were delivered to our room early in the morning to assure a "civilized" way to start the day. Before heading for Seattle the next morning, we had a great breakfast in the pub. I'm sure we were the eldest visitors to the hotel when we were there and the other folks were mostly young snowboarders with great enthusiasm and joy which was openly shared. We will return to McMenamins hotels without qualm. I cannot say enough good things about our experience at Old St. Francis!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 1960GreenEyes
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My husband and I have had fun checking out one McMenamin hotel after another. The McMenamin brothers are known for taking historic buildings and restoring them as hotels. We started with the Kennedy School, then took the train to the Olympic Club up in Washington, then Hotel Oregon in McMinnville, and Edgefield in Troutdale. However, our favorite one, that we have returned to over and over, is the Old St. Francis School in Bend, Oregon. From the huge wood-grained rooms to the Turkish soaking tub, the old-style movie theater and fun restaurant and pubs, there is something for everyone. We especially like their "Hammerhead Packages" available during the week which includes a room, dinner, breakfast, and use of the tub and movie theater. Very, very fun --- these McMenamin brothers really know how to do it right!

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sassysteph
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Flashback to Catholic school...I really love the character and charm of the old St Francis School. My room was eclectic and yet very comfortable. I stayed for a week and was able to get yummy pastries for breakfast if I wished it - and thankfully I could ski off the calories!! I stayed for an entire week during the winter and the only other people staying were a group of snowboarders who would leave their room and huge clouds of herbal refreshment would waft down the hall, which added to the quirky charm of this historic hotel. Hey, just like Catholic School! There was a distinct Twin Peaks type vibe here and my pot-smoking neighbors just added to the ambience! I would say that this place is a great respite of solitude from the usual hotel offerings and I loved the peace and quiet, read books, got lots of great exercise, and enjoyed a glass of wine at the restaurant...all when I had to work for a week in Bend. Hey, what more could you ask for?? In my experience, you can never go wrong with McMenamins. They will treat you right, or will make things right -- every time!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank 913Kiki28
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I preface this review by saying I'm a huge fan of the McMenamins and have stayed at several of their properties, including the St. Francis, previously. We had a nice gift certificate so decided to "splurge" over the holiday weekend. The room rate was $175 for a two double bed room, which seems high for Bend. The room was nice, but nothing too fancy and the bathroom is fairly small and can only accommodate one person at a time. The room itself is pretty small with two beds and barely room for a corner table. It would also be nice to have a least a mini-fridge so you can stash all the great leftovers from Bend restaurants. The best amenities are the soaking pool (definitely worth using) and the location - easy walking distance to downtown. And lastly, for that price, I wouldn't have expected trash collection to wake me up outside at 4:45 a.m. Unbelievable.

Room Tip: We stayed a few years ago in one of the larger rooms that has couch and a huge bathroom with two soa...