“Anniversary Dinner Splendor V2”
Review of Tokyo Pot

Tokyo Pot
Ranked #1 of 154 Restaurants in Stillwater
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2017

Quick Summary: I WILL RETURN!!!! The food was terrific. The staff was great. The atmosphere was not your typical college town restaurant. OK, Longer Version: We have lived in Stillwater 18 years but somehow have missed this place. Quietly tucked away on a side street, no bold signs. Just sitting there quietly. Waiting for discovery.... If you have never been before, a few things to keep in mind: 1) Make a RESERVATION: IF you have the chance to call ahead or make a reservation, MAKE ONE! Once you have a table you will be treated as if you were a special guest. If they are full and do not have room....well, there is nothing they can do. 2) Make TIME - This is a meal that takes time to eat. If you are in a hurry, go elsewhere. 3) UNDERSTAND this type of restaurant - you cook your own food, at your own table, one bite at a time. It is Japanese food, not American Fast Food. The owner Dean helped us understand how the meal worked and so did our waitress. There was plenty of interaction and laughter. 4) LIGHTHEARTED - this restaurant was a fun experience. The owner and staff were outgoing and lighthearted. If you want stuffy, again, go elsewhere. The only way I could see a person having a bad experience here is by having the wrong expectations. It is Japanese style food. Don't expect McD's.

Reviewed 15 July 2017

Our first visit was Monday for our 18th wedding anniversary. We called to make reservations. Definitely do this! Dean, the owner, walked us through the intricacies of the meal. We had the prime rib and seafood platters. We had the Mongolian broth (flavorful and spicy). We also had the Godzilla shrimp. The staff was attentive. The food was outstanding. Please make sure you go with enough time to truly enjoy the flavors of the food. It's also a great romantic restaurant which Stillwater seems to lack.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

This place is legit. Stop what your doing and make a reservation. Really enjoyed the snapper/shrimp entree. Being our first time, the owner took the time to explain to us the correct method of mixing the sauces as well as cooking. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 8 July 2017

Best Asian restaurant IMO in town. It is hot pot, so it is difficult for young children(also no high chairs or car seats allowed for safety), and you have to cook the food at the table yourself(because it's hot pot). The food is really good though, the portion sizes are decent(I believe the sirloin option is 9oz of meat, plus the veggies, rice, and noodle that all come with), and Dean(the owner) is a fun character. They are reservation only.

Reviewed 14 June 2017

After reading the reviews, I decided to give this place a try. I will admit I did not have a reservation, but was able to get in. But I do understand why reservations are suggested. The place is really hidden, as in behind very tall bushes covering most of the restaurant. This small place and the setup is for tables of min of four. So I almost felt guilty for taking up a space that would sit four, almost. Menu is limited to choice of meats, poultry or fish and sides of vegetables, rice and sauces. The waitress ask for your selection of broth, sweet, spicy and something called Mongolian Spicy. The food is brought out and you cook it in the broth. The waitress started me off explaining the process. Then the owner (Dean?) came by asked me questions, and switched my spicy broth by adding the Mongolian Spicy and other spices. That may seem forward and abrupt but the flavors he created by his additions and the mix of sauces of the table made my food "pop" with flavors that was much better than my attempts. Thank you Dean. I did try the Lamb because that is not something you see much in menus. Prices ranged for $13.95-$20.95 depending on the selection. They do offer some side dishes but I thought I had plenty of food with the main entree "pot" dish" Drink sizes was huge as well, I had an ice tea that I did not need a refill it was big. Service was good, but only down side was waiting for check. I suspect that the credit card machine wasn't up to the task, I was watching one of the waitress working hard (actually all the wait staff worked hard) and getting the machine to work. Still that did not marr my experience here. Do note this place is open only limited hours from 6 pm - 8:30 pm. Worth the trip.