“Another great Christmas in July”

Lake Thunderbird State Park
Ranked #8 of 26 things to do in Norman
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

I grew up in Norman about a mile from this lake. Huge improvement have been made on both sides but we’ve used Zoom Beach on the Alameda Street side the last two years. We rent a pavilion ($75 Per day) and get all the privacy we need. Park rangers are amazing at keeping the area free from outsiders who haven’t paid for the pavilion area. The only complaint I have that can’t be helped at a lake is I got hung up while swimming in some fishing line and couldn’t free myself. Good thing I was with a group or I’d probably have drowned. I just needed someone to balance me while I got it untangled. All in all, it was a great weekend with my awesome family and I hope we get to do it again next year!

Date of experience: July 2018
"hike"
"ticked"
"boats"

Reviewed 20 July 2018 via mobile

We took our RV and spent the weekend here. The camping areas are good/nice. Definitely brings some outdoor games to stay entertained. The lake itself was a huge disappointment. Nasty/dirty, hence the lakes nickname: Dirtybird lake. Still, tubing was fun.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 8 July 2018

We started at the Clear Bay Area for our hike which I thought was on the blue trail. Turned out we were on the green, then red, and maybe even yellow before we got to the Blue trail. Didn’t matter because we loved the hiking trails and for the most part were kept up but the area know as the Hood on the blue trail was majorly overgrown and it was too bad we didn’t get a chance to finish that trail and had to turn back. The one thing I will say is that you definitely need to make sure you bring bug spray because the ticks are out of control on the hikes. Other than that it was great!!!

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed 25 June 2018

We go primarily for bird watching. There's camping areas, day use areas, picnic areas, swimming areas, equestrian trails, walking trails, boating and RV set ups. I do wish there was more access to the water. When there's a lot of people, it is a little difficult to get through some of the areas, but it is a nice park on both sides (Hwy. 9 and off Alameda).

Date of experience: June 2018