“Great Value, Can't Wait To Go Back!”
Review of Castaway Bay

Castaway Bay
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Ohio, United States
“Great Value, Can't Wait To Go Back!”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I really enjoyed our time here. We went for 2 nights and it really wasn't enough time. I definitely would stay for 3 next time. The waterpark is just enough without being too overwhelming. I have 3 kids, ages 6,3, and 1 and it was perfect for them. There were plenty of life guards on duty and they were very strict about wearing life jackets in the deeper areas. My little one didn't like it, but I'd rather her be safe. The wave pool was great. The toddler pool was just the perfect depth. I only have two complaints about the waterpark. The jacuzzi/whirlpool. It is an indoor/outdoor one. That was not the problem. The problem was the little kids. I think that anyone under the age of 18 should not be in a jacuzzi. They were trying to swim in there while I was trying to relax. The other complaint is how the floor got very slippery when wet. My 3 year old fell down and I also lost my footing and fell. Even though the staff came to my aid very quickly, I think that the hotel needs to be more proactive about putting down some different flooring to help prevent future falls.

We stayed in a Tarpon room. It was nice enough. Most of the time you aren't in your room so it wasn't a big deal that the tv's were older or that it wasn't fashionable.

The arcade was a big hit with my 6 year old so much so that he didn't even get a chance to do the activities offered up for kids.

The food was good. It was a tad bit overpriced, but you are staying at a 'resort.' The breakfast buffet was so good the one morning and not so good the next, so I can't say either way to go for it, however if you opt to just go with a bagel and then coffee- the little shop next to the buffet has that, but you end up paying almost as much for that as you would the buffet.
We had room service the first night and we had a pepperoni pizza. It was really good.

Overall, we will definitely be going back. I recommend for younger kids.

Room Tip: We had a Tarpon room which was a king size bed and two sets of bunk beds. The bunkbeds comfortably...
2 Thank babybert
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Rooms were nice and clean. However watermark was not enjoyable. The pool water was too cold and the air temperature was too cold too. Our room wasn't ready at the stated check in time. Food in the watermark area was over priced and cold!

3 Thank Musker1

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Delmont, PA
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I was impressed with the resort. Room was great. Clean, great space having two bunk bed sets in the semi private area for the kids. Tarpon room. Clean and comfortable. Watermark is impressive. With lots of people, still plenty of towels and lines were manageable.

We have visited another resort in the area-too big, not clean and poor customer service. The place in Erie was a nice park. Terrible rooms though-dirty.

The consistency at these resorts sea to be the terrible customer service at the pool bar restaurant/snack bar. Long, long lines. Terrible service and all for a bad price.

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank chicole98
Hubbard, OH
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I've been to many indoor waterparks and I've made my notes on this one. To start we did not get a great deal as we could not come on the days they made the deals avaliable. We had a room with 2 sets of bunk beds and a king size bed. The only con I had with this type of room is the lack of door for the seperate room, and the window to the other side. It did have a great size closet for all the gear.
What I didn't like: They did not have a lazy river, No inner tube slides, no adult only hot tub, adult beverages in the waterpark were limited I didn't like having to sit in chairs the whole time, as they did not offer lounge chairs.
What I did like: The smell of the park was nice, no over powering chlorine or any type of water cleaner.
All in all the park was nice, and I loved bedtime with snoopy. As when you go to Cedar Point you can never see Snoopy. We did get to see Linus as well. Breakfast at Mango Mikes was pretty good for a buffett. The park was great for smaller kids, as my older kid was kinda bored and upset that the only "big" slides were body slides.
We probably wont' return as this park needs to expand for older children, and make an adult only hot tub. On the hot tub the good thing is kids can't enter without an adult but we all know how that goes you always get those parents that dont watch their kids at anytime so why would they in a hot tub.
I did also notice checkin was SLOW, and very unhappy with the way check in is handled. They need to have more people at this time at the front desk to assist in this. We luckily got their early and kept checking to see if our room was ready. It was. We really lucked out as they dont have a system for this.

4 Thank courtneylynn7
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and 2 days. The waterpark is small, and it's sort of nice unlike the Kalahari which is crowded and noisy. The wave pool is very strong and should have floats because once you get knocked down, you can't get back up! Also, watch out on the body slides: they empty so fast into an about 4 feet pool, I hit the bottom on 2 seperate occasions and bloodied up my elbow and knee! The rollercoaster is 7/10--only the first hill is thrilling. There are great activities for young kids like story time and crafts, and the arcade is nice, but older kids will be bored within the first day. The hotel room is also very average--and the tv is bad. I would save your money and take a trip to the Kalahari if you have kids older than 10--but otherwise it's nice for a small getaway with the little ones.

2 Thank hcc920