Punderson Manor Lodge and Conference Center
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsstate parkpunderson manorindoor poolsledding hillscreened in porchinviting fireplaceghost huntingguest roomsnext morningsliding glass doorcross country skiingtwo sinksghost storiesview of the lakeboat rentalscabin stayhillside cabin
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 January 2018

I was on a business trip and was looking for a comfortable, affordable, and relaxing place to stay for a few days. I found all of this at Punderson Manor. As it turned out the facility was practically empty of guests as it was a very cold week with some snow. My room was comfortable and clean much like you can find at most mid priced hotels. What made it special was a large indoor heated pool, which I used; a cozy fireplace in the lobby with rocking chairs that I sat at many nights reading a boob; and the restaurant that serve very nice meals at a good price. The Manor is located in a state park that has many outdoor activities, even in the winter, but I did not use them, though it does has some beautiful views over the lake.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Michael L, General Manager at Punderson Manor Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2018

Hi,
We are glad you enjoyed your stay! Please keep us in mind when you return to the area. We would be honored to serve you again.

Reviewed 11 January 2018

The park grounds and the manor house are gorgeous and well maintained from what we were able to see. BUT, we stayed in the cabins. TWO sliding glass doors + wooden door with what looked like an ax crack, plus a screened in porch with zero insulation from cold or wind, all on one side of the cabin (the kitchen/living room side). This made that area so cold, and difficult to keep heated. And when you crank the heat high enough for that area, the bedrooms become uncomfortable hot. So when we went to bed we had to turn the heat down and essentially freeze in the morning till the heat kicked in again.

I would love to return in the autumn or spring, maybe summer too. But until they do some updates to the cabins to make them insulated better, no more winter stays. Which is too bad because the views of the lake and grounds with a blanket of snow are gorgeous!

Maintenance man was very nice. We had to be moved from the first cabin we were in due to freezing pipes. No one's fault, it was just wicked cold. The front desk people at check in and check out were average I guess. Not friendly, not rude, just there.

Room Tip: Stay in the main lodge when the temps are below 10
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Michael L, General Manager at Punderson Manor Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2018

Hi,
Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately the cabins do lack a bit of insulation in a couple areas and these extreme temperatures exacerbated that situation. I am going to work with our maintenance department and to see if we can address that issue going forward. I am sorry if our front desk was lack luster in your opinion. They are a good group of people but in this case they appear to have underperformed. Just average is not in line with our expectations in regard to levels of service.

I hope you do come back. I think Punderson has something to offer during all four seasons of the year. It appears you picked a doozy of a cold snap and the comfort of the cabins in this sort of weather is a project to which we will give serious attention.

Thank you again for taking time to comment and please feel free to contact me on my direct line at 440-564-2602 if you have any additional comments or questions.

Mike

Reviewed 10 January 2018

We rented one of the cabins just after the new year. These cabins are probably excellent for spring and fall vacations, but when the back wall is covered by TWO sliding glass doors AND a wooden door with cracks along the grain, it becomes extremely drafty. You're basically shifting between sitting under a heat vent until the cabin is uncomfortably warm, and then you cut it off and face the cold draft until you need the heat again. Outside of that issue, it's quite well maintained and a beautiful place that I'd love to see another time of year.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Keith H

Hi,
Thank you for your feedback. Yes, we sure did have some extremely frigid weather that exposed some areas of the cabins that are not as insulated as they could be. It is definitely a project we are going to look into going forward. During "normal" winter weather I think the cabins are pretty comfy as a rule.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope you will return soon. If you have any additional comments or questions please feel free to call me on my direct line at 440-564-2602.

Mike

Reviewed 16 November 2017

My husband and I stayed overnight. We had a few drinks at the bar (small but quaint), and then had dinner at the Cherry Dining room. The food was good, we were the only ones in the dining hall when we first arrived (start of dinner hour). It was very peaceful. We had breakfast the next morning and it was off a menu vs a buffet. It was also very good. Nice views over the lake. It's a smaller lodge. Less than 20 rooms, but laid back and peaceful. We'd probably go again but next time in warmer weather.

Room Tip: Most rooms view the lake, but if you can get a room on the second floor, you'd probably be able to see it better.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2017

While we liked the lodge and their dinner menu is excellent, the breakfast was disappointing. Given how nice everything else is, there is no reason not to have a better breakfast and an option of menu or buffet or menu. The website says there is a breakfast buffet on Sundays, but makes no mention that it's other days too, like Saturday. The buffet is eggs, pancakes, sausage/bacon, biscuits & gravy, fruit that is mostly melon and small pastries. It's all quite mediocre. There's no oatmeal, no yogurt, no cereal for the kids. They can and should do better. On top of it, my in-laws were with us, both of them near 80. They don't each much so they asked instead of the full buffet, could they just have a couple of things like a little fruit or a pastry. They were still charged the full buffet price of $10/person. We had to argue in order to get a a reduction. How this place can do so well for their dinner menu and be so disappointing for breakfast is really a .

If you want a better breakfast when staying here, there is a very good restaurant in Burton just 5 minutes away. That's where we went on our second morning.

Room Tip: Best views are in the old section, you have to request a view.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family