“They say you get what you pay for...this was the most expensive scum and mold I've ever heard of!”

Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Huron
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 30 August 2011

The first sign was that they charge you BEFORE your stay, not after. This was the absolute worst Hotel stay of my life! Both comforters were stained with unknown substances. I could go on about every part of the room, but the worst was the bathroom. The shower curtain was filthy, splattered with some other unknown substance and several large mildew spots. The bottom was also covered in a pinkish mildew, like it had been there for a long while. The bathroom walls were also splattered with the same looking substance as was on the curtain. The floor was unswept, leaving dust, hair and black specks of some sort, behind the door. The towles had holes in them and were less than white.
Lastly, there was only one light in the whole room. No lamp on the nightstand either. Mr. Bodett, that was the best thing the employees DIDN'T do; if I would have seen the room under any more light I probably wouldn't have even gotten the 4 winks of sleep, that I did manage to get.
Absolutely awful!

Room Tip: Never stay somewhere that they charge you ahead of time or specify NO REFUNDS!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shana888
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Never stay at this property. when i booked the reservation, they quoted me $257.87 for 2 rooms, for 3 nights, and they said the call was recorded, not true, then when we arrived they told us we had to pay double the amount $515,74 to stay there. We said it must be a mistake, we got no where and drove 8 hours to get there, so my brother paid, when we asked to have our sheets changed and replace towels and glasses, never did, when we brought it to the attention of the attendant and brought her into the rooms, she said she used to be a maid and she would have been fired. when I call guest relations, they said there was nothing they could do but give me a complaint number. Never stay here, Please do not stay here!!!!

3 Thank michael m

Travellers are raving about these Huron hotels

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I know, you get what you pay for, however based on the reviews I was hoping for a little more. The best thing going for Motel 6 is the fact that it is NON-Smoking, a HUGE plus in my eyes! I had a real problem trying to find a hotel that was non smoking in the area and did not charge a fortune. We were in the Sandusky area for 3 nights and know we were not going to be spending a lot of time in a hotel room. So with that said, it was okay for the price we paid.

Now for the negative, the shower/tub leaked non stop, the bed spreads were stained on both beds and the walls were dirty. This place could be a good stay at a great price if they would just have a better cleaning crew and laundry service. The other negative is the TRAIN. There is a train crossing and train tracks that are right behind the hotel. They are in service and used a LOT, so get ready to hear train horns all night long.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I stayed here because my two favorite properties in Sandusky were already booked. This hotel looks new and it is very clean. The staff (especially Matt) was very friendly and helpful. My sheets were new looking and clean. My kids enjoyed the indoor pool and I got to relax in the hot tub.

There is a set of train tracks nearby, but I live near tracks where I live so it didn't bother me. The wifi could have been a bit better, it seemed a little weak, but that's my only complaint. This hotel is literally just off the Rte 2 exit and it is super easy to find. It was nice that I could leave Cedar Point via the "back door" chausse and was then a quick 3 miles back to the hotel.

Room Tip: If you think trains are going to bother you, stay elsewhere.
3 Thank Robert T
Hamburg, NY
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We were in Huron, OH for a softball tournament last weekend. The coach made arrangements for a group rate so the whole team could stay at the same hotel.

Upon arriving at the hotel, it does look nice from the outside and upon entering the lobby, all looked well. As we stepped into the elevator to head to our second floor rooms, we noticed that the rug just outside the elevator doors is ripped and possibly a trip hazard.

We had two rooms. Upon entering the rooms, they are terribly dated (orange 1970s decor) which doesn't really bother me as long as the rooms are clean.

Our first room looked as if someone had slept it in prior to our arrival. The comforter and pillows were not in the correct place for a recently cleaned room, the dresser drawers had food/crackers crumbs in them and there were wet wash clothes hanging from the shower curtain rod in the bathroom. The toilet also did not work. Our second room was in a little bit better shape but could have use a good cleaning as the rug did not look like it had been vacummed in some time and there were plastic bottle caps and candy wrappers on the floor by the beds. The rooms also had the smell of a nursing home!

We left our luggage in the rooms and upon leaving the hotel to get something to eat, asked at the front desk to have both rooms cleaned. The woman at the desk was nice and seemed a bit shocked that the rooms were not cleaned. Upon arriving back at the hotel after dinner, the rooms had not been cleaned. We wound up fixing the toilet ourselves.

The next day we had 3 softball games scheduled. Upon returning to the hotel, we found that our rooms were not locked, presumably after maid service was done as we checked this prior to leaving in the morning. Also only one bed was made up...the other was left the same as it was left when we got out of bed in the morning!

It should be noted that two other family's on the softball team also had problems with their rooms. One had reserved a suite only to discover that the pull out sofa was broken. They were given another suite. Another family was given a reduction in their room rate for the weekend due to the unacceptable condition of their room.

Also, as other reviewers have mentioned, the close proximity to the train tracks is most definitely troublesome when trying to get some sleep! The trains do come by rather frequently, we are not talking one a night here!!!

We felt that we would have been better off staying at a campground versus this hotel. If you are looking for a clean place to stay, I would advise you to look elsewhere.

Upon checking out, we waited at the desk for approximately 5-10 minutes to speak to someone about getting a reduction on the cost of the room, however, no one was working the desk! We have since sent a letter to the manager and are awaiting a reply.

3 Thank neelie64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huron
0.6 km away
South Shore Inn
#13 of 35 in Sandusky
8.5 km away
Motel 6 Sandusky-Milan

Been to Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK