The Menai Motel & Function Centre
  • Room Service
  • Beachfront
Beachway(Ulverstone)
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

We went for a wedding and found the meals very average and the hotel manager hovering over our tables. Then it gets worse we had accommodation there and saw a couple of asian ladies in bra and panties wandering about the accommodation leading seefy old guys to their rooms. The thudding of their activities on the walls was very disturbing. The rooms are very old need more than a bit of paint to bring them up to standard. Wont ever set foot in there again.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bradox I
Reviewed 12 August 2017

The place is old (70'a) but well maintained and spotless. Everything worked. We arrived late and after a quick phone call greeted and checked in. Don't expect the Hilton but as I said. when considering a decent budget hotel we had no complaints at all

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 12 September 2017

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and we are glad to hear you enjoyed your experience and we look forward in welcoming you back to the Menai Hotel Motel in the near future.

Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

The worst place i have dined at. I wait over and hour and a half for a schnitzel. Service was terrible and the rest of the meals are worst than hospital food. I would have been happier to have a couple of drinks then went to McDonalds for a meal.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 12 September 2017

Thanks for sharing your experience, we are disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectation and hope you will return so we can meet your expectations on your next visit as we strive to provide a memorabile experience for all. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

This is just an old depressing run down hotel. Throw in a few strange hang a rounders, a poor location and indifferent service and you've got the perfect recipe for staying somewhere else.

Generally I would like to say something positive but I can't even recommend the price.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 12 September 2017

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, however we are disappointed to hear that you have not enjoyed your time with us. We hope that you will return sometime soon to give us the chance so we can meet your expectations, If you decide to return please do not hesitate in contacting the hotel directly if there is anything we can do to be of help.

Reviewed 25 February 2017

The Menai Hotel Motel has been part of the landscape at Burnie for a long time and it is a busy watering hole in a town where drinking is a popular activity. Having stayed at a few places in the Burnie area over the years I thought I would give it a go because I was intrigued by its enormous size and I wondered what the accommodation would actually be like. My only reservation was that the hotel was more of a pub than a hotel and that the noise from the bar would be annoyingly loud. For this reason I booked a deluxe suite, thinking that anything called a suite would have to be free from bar noise and unappealing people. I could not have been more correct. The room itself was old fashioned and rather charming because of it. A large sitting area was pleasantly furnished, the bed was large and comfortable and the bathroom was small but perfectly adequate and well appointed. Cable TV and wifi were very good. There was a microwave/kitchenette/bar-fridge galley which made simple self catering easy. Housekeeping was friendly and very informal (“You don’t need anything do you?”). The room was extremely pleasant, private and very quiet even though there were functions on in the bar area on each of the nights I was there. The most unexpected and delightful feature of the suite was the view. Large picture windows facing north gave a spectacular view of Burnie and the Bass Strait. During the day the sunshine flooded the room without making it too hot or startling and at night they delivered the most unexpectedly beautiful panorama of the city, its lights stretching out into the darkness of the ocean. Burnie is not what you would call a physically attractive place. A century of urban ugliness and industrial waste has left its mark on what was once a beautiful bay on the Bass Strait, but from this room at the Menai hotel Burnie looked quite spectacular, which is saying something. I was sorry to leave the Menai Hotel and I hope that somehow the hotel resists the temptation to update the suites with 21st century furniture and fittings because they way they are right now is very pleasant and comfortable indeed.

Room Tip: book one of the de luxe suites and enjoy the view
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank wme79736
Management response:Responded 12 September 2017

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, we are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay here with us also we are please to hear that housekeeping met your expectations, we will share your kind words with the team. Once again thanks for your kind words and we look forward in welcoming you back to The Menai Hotel Motel in the near future.