“not recommended”

Ranked #3 of 4 things to do in Bingara
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

It is a while ago since I stayed at this place but still I feel I have to write this review. It was my most expensive week in Australia and at the same time my worst as well. The place looked very dirty, you couldn’t even see the floor in the kitchen. Food was moldy except for the toastbread. The volunteers which were supposed to prepare food, take care of the cleanliness and help him with the horses left in a hurry on my first morning which was a little strange. But soon I found out why. How the owner trains the horses is very cruel. You have to have really strong nervs to watch this. During my stay, even a foal died. However the horses were well trained and you felt safe to ride them, but since I knew how it came to this I felt sorry for them. Furthermore he likes to touch women which made me feel very uncomfortable. Besides this you get to see beautiful landscapes and you get a taste of how big the farms in Australia are. Also you get to see many dead horses on the way uphill or what is left of them, since it gets very dry and hot in the summer. I wouldn’d recommend staying there because I am sure there are other farms which really care about you.

4  Thank Jenny B

Reviewed 18 January 2018 via mobile

John is the best cowboy ever, calm and fun.
We topk a lot of rides
We mustered cows and horses and camels.
I Will go there again

2  Thank Stubbuffe
Reviewed 4 December 2016 via mobile

Great morning spent riding the horses along the Gwydir River, friendly staff and patient with beginners. Well worth the visit!

Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

I would like to thank the Jackaroo hostel for an experience of a life time. What an amazing four days, could of easily been 2weeks. The hostel would have to be the most accommodating, clean place I have ever stayed in. If you are after a tranquil place, surrounded by beautiful rainforests, not to mention the view of a life time, well Jackaroo Bingil Bay is a must. I definitely would love to go back some day :)

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 September 2015

On my first trip to Australia I wanted so much to get the McLeods Daughters feel when riding and mustering on an authentic Australian farm. I found John Wades place on the internet and I could take the train from Sydney to get there.
In 2008 when I visited, it was hostelstyle with dorms. Luckily John offered me a little cabin, because I'm totally not a person who like to share bedrooms. It was a dream come true, mustering sheep, cattle and even horses. I had the greatest time! Would recommend every horse loving person to try this once in your life!

2  Thank dutchie68