“Faultless in every respect”

Jeremy's at Borde Hill
Price range: US$ 32 - US$ 127
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After the last few of my reviews have necessarily been negative, how nice to get back on a positive footing.

The restaurant is nicely situated next to the gardens but unfortunately the weather was extremely inclement and so we could not enjoy them. The welcome was warm and we sat in the cosy bar area for drinks as we reviewed the menus. The staff were all charming and knowledgeable and attentive to just the right degree.

The dining room is pleasant without being over fussy with good sized tables with plenty of room between. We were served an amuse bouche (or canapé as they preferred to call them) which was a cod roe mousse with fennel - very nice. I chose the daily menu and my wife the windfall menu although she didn't fancy the sorbet dessert and changed it to the crumble. We were offered a choice of walnut bread and sourdough and being a bit cheeky I asked for both. My wife said "It's his birthday today so you'd better humour him" and they did. Both were superb, but the walnut especially so.

I had the quail to start - two breast fillets and a spring roll filled with the darker meat and a grape chutney. It was delicious. My wife had mussels in a cider and cream sauce - a large portion for a starter but also pronounced delicious. My main was the haunch of venison, cooked perfectly medium rare as requested accompanied by a venison sausage, a mild curry sauce and another red sauce which was apparently sloe gin. My wife had the pork belly with bubble and squeak, once again delicious although a slight criticism in the the crackling wasn't particularly crackly. All this washed down with the red wine of the month, a Chianti, nice and smooth and fruity and good value at £33.

When my crumble arrived I was surprised to see they had written Happy Birthday on the plate which I thought was a thoughtful touch (see photo). Plum and pear crumble was very good as was the damson ice cream. My espresso was a bit cooler than I would have liked but I do like my coffee hotter than most people - it was served with a still warm macaroons and chocolates. Flavour was fine though.

Excellent and delicious throughout at a price you'd probably pay at your local pub.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had a large group here for a birthday and the service was fantastic. This was backed up by a menu that really promised a lot, but also delivered. The flavours were fantastic and the complexity of the dishes was just right. The staff were attentive and helpful, and all the dishes were served in good time. Highly recommended. This restaurant is clearly run by someone who really has a passion for food.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

- but at long last I have to admit - Jeremy's is my favourite restaurant. We go there several times a year, and are never disappointed. The food is consistently superb, and there's always something interesting to try on the wine list. If you go on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, you can have a lovely meal and not feel that the pricing is too exorbitant either. You can choose 2 or 3 course from a set menu with 3 options per course, or go a la carte. The service is always attentive without being overbearing (although we do enjoy being welcomed like old friends), and we love the "boutique" styling. I quite often find myself saying - when I'm disappointed elsewhere - "we should have gone to Jeremy's".

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Sunday Lunch for four. Set menu, whilst dearer than in other local restaurants/pubs, is great value since the quality of ingredients is wonderful. Moules starter was excellent. Turbot & roast beef both came as requested. No skimping on quantity either.

Carafe wine was just right. Cocktails were well made. Service was attentive and very friendly.

Don't sit in the middle of the restaurant as we did. The tables are far too close together.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited Jeremy’s with friends for lunch recently having not been for a little while (sorry Jeremy).
We thought the lunch was excellent. I was really pleased with my Windfall Menu 3 course lunch which was right up my street; a generous bowl of mussels followed by pork belly, great crackling, and then grape sorbet, for £22. The carafes of wine were just right. We won’t leave it so long before we return.