“Very good local pub.”

Add it.
The Old Ship Inn
Ranked #9 of 19 Nightlife in South Shields
Reviewed 25 April 2016

This is run as,a "local" pub and keeps,that same simple pub atmosphere.
Some good guest ales.
Great staff.
Quiz every other Wednesday night.
If you just want to go to the pub and chat, then this is the place to go.

Reviewed 31 October 2015 via mobile

This is one of our locals and it's always a pretty good atmosphere. The barmaids are friendly and usual lagers and bottled wines etc good. However I have to say the real ales, which I prefer to drink, are very hitty missy. The last couple of times I've been in the beer has been very poor, I tried the Landlords bitter and old speckled hen but both were tasting dodgy. At £3.10 a pint they should be kept in better condition. I had the Landlords bitter the following day in Wetherspoons and it tasted excellent and was only £1.75. I really would prefer to give the old ship my business but they must 'up their game' when it comes to looking after the hand pulled beer. If they don't have the turnover I'd rather they only served one brand in tip top condition. Hopefully the Manager will read this and I look forward to trying again when the beer improves.

4  Thank Grahame D
Reviewed 18 July 2015 via mobile

It's like stepping back in time in this bar. The decor must be 30 yrs old. However good atmosphere,great friendly bar staff. Manager a little reserved.

Reviewed 16 April 2015

A great old bar, with good beer and ... ... conversation! Always nice to walk into a room where you can lean on the bar, enjoy a good pint, and put the world to rights without competing with the house music system.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 March 2015

We were in Newbiggin over night and on this occasion were staying in another Hotel. we have stayed in The Old Ship years ago and loved it. It was good to see the same owner Jackie was there . We called in and were delighted to find there was live entertainment three guys playing guitars and a lady singing along. Everyone was so friendly I asked them to play certain songs which they did . We left to go for evening meal then returned until the end of the evening .