“Nice pub shame about the beer”
Review of The Old Ship Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Old Ship Inn
Ranked #9 of 19 Nightlife in South Shields
Reviewed 31 October 2015 via mobile

This is one of our locals and it's always a pretty good atmosphere. The barmaids are friendly and usual lagers and bottled wines etc good. However I have to say the real ales, which I prefer to drink, are very hitty missy. The last couple of times I've been in the beer has been very poor, I tried the Landlords bitter and old speckled hen but both were tasting dodgy. At £3.10 a pint they should be kept in better condition. I had the Landlords bitter the following day in Wetherspoons and it tasted excellent and was only £1.75. I really would prefer to give the old ship my business but they must 'up their game' when it comes to looking after the hand pulled beer. If they don't have the turnover I'd rather they only served one brand in tip top condition. Hopefully the Manager will read this and I look forward to trying again when the beer improves.

4  Thank Grahame D

Reviewed 18 July 2015 via mobile

It's like stepping back in time in this bar. The decor must be 30 yrs old. However good atmosphere,great friendly bar staff. Manager a little reserved.

Reviewed 16 April 2015

A great old bar, with good beer and ... ... conversation! Always nice to walk into a room where you can lean on the bar, enjoy a good pint, and put the world to rights without competing with the house music system.

Reviewed 18 March 2015

We were in Newbiggin over night and on this occasion were staying in another Hotel. we have stayed in The Old Ship years ago and loved it. It was good to see the same owner Jackie was there . We called in and were delighted to find there was live entertainment three guys playing guitars and a lady singing along. Everyone was so friendly I asked them to play certain songs which they did . We left to go for evening meal then returned until the end of the evening .

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 May 2014

An old fashioned pub with loads of atmosphere. The choice of drinks is excellent and there is also real ales available. On Sunday lunch time the amount of food on the bar is amazing and all freshly made. This pub is friendly with a lot of locals only too willing to give you all the history of the oldest pub in South Shields along with the odd ghost story. Well worth a visit.

2  Thank Geraldine L