All reviews guest house double bed town centre good nights sleep gill beds breakfast seafront
Reviewed 4 September 2015

My stay at Brittania was relaxing and wonderful. Ellen was just fabulous and ever so helpful. There were a few issues with room upon checkin and she rushed straight up to sort. Great location, 2 minutes walk to park/beach, restaurants and train station. Although it could do with an update, I was very very happy with my accommodation. Comfy bed, gorgeous breakfast!!!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 September 2015

I stayed at Guest House over the August 15 Bank Holiday weekend, I planned to get the approx 15:00, which is an hour before the "official" check in time, Gill called me approx 13:30 to check what time I was going to arrive, to ensure she was there to let me in. The rooms and hotel are nice and clean and all the ladies are very friendly and chatty and really make you feel welcome over breakfast, specially the poached eggs!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 September 2015

Friendly guesthouse in good location, short walk to the seafront or the town. Close enough to visit attractions such as Beamish and Newcastle in a short drive.
Owner was very amenable, allowing us to check in early and make the most of the weekend. She just asked us to phone her when we were 30 minutes away to ensure she was there to meet us.
Breakfast was excellent, all cooked to order.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2015

My wife, son and I stayed here (one double and one single room), my wife and I for two nights and our son for one night. My son and I were undertaking the Hadrian’s Cycleway over a total of four days and this was our final stop after completing the route. My wife had telephoned to let Gill, the landlady, know when she would be arriving (by car) and left a message on her answer phone. Unfortunately, when she arrived there was no one in so she went to meet me and my son at the end of the cycle trail situated around a mile away. On returning to the guesthouse around 6.20 pm there was still no one in. A second telephone call evoked a response and Gill arrived about 5 minutes later – no apology given as to why she hadn’t picked up the first message. An unfortunate start, but from then on all was good. Bikes kept in a locked yard. Very nice spacious rooms tastefully decorated. Nice bathroom and excellent shower. Quite close to the sea front and only a few minutes walk to the Metro station where one could go into Newcastle, about 25 minutes away. A number of pubs in the area for an evening meal. Very good breakfast in the guesthouse, served by Ellen, a gem! Overall, an excellent place for staying in South Shields.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2015 via mobile

We spent one night here and loved the location. The breakfast was fabulous with great food and conversation. One of the rooms we rented was a little small and wouldn't have worked for a visit longer than one night. But overall, a great b&b in South Shields.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family