“Nowhere near as good as it used to be”
Review of The Spring Grove

The Spring Grove
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Your favourite local at 13 Bloomfield Road has always been the heart of the Community in this lovely area of Kingston Upon Thames. Young's bought The Spring Grove in 1896 and we still proudly serve craft and cask-conditioned ales, world class wines (many served by the glass) and refreshing long drinks. Our menus celebrate the best of fresh, seasonal, British produce, with food prepared daily by our team of skilled Chefs.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

We went here for lunch on a Sunday. By 3.30pm they had run out of a lot of options on the menu.

The prices have gone up and the food is not value for money anymore. If you can get what you want, that is.....

It’s a shame as this is our local and we used to enjoy eating here.

32springg, Manager at The Spring Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, all feedback is warmly welcomed. Although I am disappointed that you didn't enjoy your experience with us.
We have recently relaunched our menus on the 27 February, with more options available and still using fresh and seasonal ingredients. The Sunday in question, we had our busiest Sunday this year, selling 23% more roasts in the first 3 hours of service than previous weeks!
Naturally, we do not like wasting food, however this week our chefs ordered double than previous, we made sure that we had enough roasts until 8pm.
I appreciate that the price per head is perhaps more than other establishments, however we are a premium pub and we aim to offer quality and excellence every time.
It's so important to us that every customer feels valued and enjoys their experience. If you'd like to discuss this further, please contact me at springgrove@youngs.co.uk I would be happy to hear from you.
Kind regards,
Martin (General Manager)

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

Met friends here for Pre Christmas drinks here last week and was really impressed!
This is local to me but for some reason I had not visited before. My friends who had said that it was now much larger following recent refurbishment, but it retained its character well.

Food is (apparently) good, and there was an inclusive and accepting crowd.

Will be back.

32springg, General Manager at The Spring Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

Hi Johnny,
Thank you for your 5 star review! We're really pleased that you enjoyed your time here over the festive period. We focus on delivering fresh, seasonal, quality food. So we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please make yourselves known the next time you come in, as I really enjoy getting to meet new locals from the area!
Kind regards, Martin (General Manager)

Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

What a hidden gem, just a short walk from Kingston town centre - this pub has everything. Beautiful decor , friendly bar staff and waiters , great food and an excellent selection of drinks! I ordered the seabass which was cooked to perfection accompanied by a delightful g&t. The staff were so good at checking if everything was ok with our meal and never left us for too long. I cannot wait to come back here again and show more of my friends what a lovely pub this is.

Reviewed 23 January 2017 via mobile

Disappointing family Sunday lunch. Whilst environment and drinks are great, the food is very poor compared to previous visits a year ago. Roast beef was too finely sliced and lost in the gravy. It was also very fatty without much meat.
Rest of family also disappointed with roast beef/chicken dishes.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 January 2017

A group of us went for dinner and everything seems to have taken a nose dive. I recommend here and was really embarrassed at how the meal turned out. The food was very poor, fish in soggy batter, vegetables not 'defrosted'/cold. One burger as almost completely raw. The deserts was bad too. I'm not sure how you burn the life out of a crumble and make lumpy cold custard...Such a great shame, they used to present fantastic food, freshly cooked (not frozen burger patties) it was delicious. I raved about this pub for a long while after it had it's reopening. I won't go again as this is the 3rd time I've had really bad food. It's a good pub for a quiz and a drink but don't go to eat.

1  Thank Lempin