“Lacking basic care, disappointed”

De Vere Selsdon Estate
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
London, United Kingdom
“Lacking basic care, disappointed”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My partner and I stayed here after a wedding on Saturday night. Overall the wedding was wonderful, we have no issues with the service there or the event management however our room was terrible. Considering we had booked a room under the wedding allocation as well, I was very surprised by the standard. We stayed in room 403. It was tiny. The bed was barely a double, I think it was a room intended for single occupancy rather than 2 adults as the size of the bed would not fit us in comfortably without waking throughout the night. We had no toiletries, 1 towel (which was dirty) no cups to drink water, a kettle but no tea/coffee/milk but we did have 3 hairdryers!! Also the toilet ran all night after being flushed, very frustrating.

The attention to detail was missing, our room clearly had not been serviced properly despite us not being able to check in until 3pm. (wedding started at 1pm) I was very glad we only stayed 1 night and could head home for some sleep after checking out. I personally would not recommend this hotel for that reason.The main areas are very nice but not all rooms are of equal standard so its pot luck. Other couples who stayed had lovely rooms. Shame ours was not.

I complained on check out being promised someone would call me to discuss in more details. I paid the bill as I did not want to cause upset in front of the bride and groom. 5 days later no one has called me.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, 16 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am disappointed to read your comments and I will be addressing the issues you have raised with regard to the servicing of your room with the Head of Housekeeping. I am confident however that any issues of this nature which are brought to our attention would have been resolved promptly as housekeeping are able to provide extra towels, milk tea etc. as required.
I apologise that there has been a delay in responding to the issues you have raised however I have been away from the office on annual leave and business an I can assure you a response will be received directly from my office shortly.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

OK, I will be brief here as I could rant on all day about this hotel, the only good thing about the break was leaving!
From the moment we arrived it could not have gone more wrong, golf course over populated meaning we had to walk after 6 holes (this still took 2.5hrs to do!)
Check-in over 2 hours late, then the room was very dated and no aircon, over looking gardens that had not been looked after in years.

Dinner in the evening was possible the worst meal I have ever sat down too, not just me but my whole party - terrible!

Breakfast was inedible...that is no lie - i cannot believe health & safety have not shut then down for serving food that could harm!

The list goes not but I will leave it here, please you may feel you are getting a bargain when you book this place but you are not.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I as very disappointed to your commetns and I can assure you that your feedback will be discussed with the relevant Heads of Department and will be addressed accordingly. In the meantime I believe my Personal Assistant has spoken with your party and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Essex
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Had a groupon deal to stay here this was very good value, we had a large executive/club bedroom with a beautiful view over the golf course. Stunning grounds. On our arrival we couldnt check in so we went to the bar to get some food, we were told we couldnt have the sandwhich we wanted as their ham slicer was broken. Okay, clearley they dont know how to use a knife either. We then waited half an hour for our sandwhiches, and then got fed up of waiting got our money back and went elsewhere. There were several weddings going on and unfortunately our room was above them so we had to endure hours of noise and music, not impressed. if you are planning on staying here I would check this and ask for a room as far away as possible! The pool and changing rooms would definatley benefit from a lick of paint and a steam clean but were okay. We had some spa treatments too and those were good. Wifi is chargeable or you can use it for 30 mins free this was very slow, I know other hotels who charge less and wifi is brilliant, in this day and age the least a hotel can do is give you wifi that works for free. Breakfast was okay, although I read on another review it's cooked to order but this wasn't it was buffet and pretty hectic. It had some very good points but unfortunatley a few disappointments. I would stay again but only if it wasn't hosting weddings that day!

• Stayed June 2012
Dear guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review,
Pleased be assured that I will be passing your feedback onto the relevant Heads of Departmnt to be addressed as required. I apologise that on this occasion we did not exceed all of your expectations although I am pleased that we may welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future. In the meantime that you for your feedback which is invaluable for me to monitor that the services and facilities that we deliver to our guests.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Id stayed at the Hotel a few years back on a golfing trip and had a fabulous stay, this time it was with my company for a conference. I was a little worried as having read some of the reviews on here, I thought the Hotel had gone down hill, since my last stay, but was pleasantly surprised. The attention to detail for the conference was second to none, with every request being carried out with total efficiency. There was a rather lovely lady in the business centre who was extremely helpful when I had trouble with my laptop, my fault not there's. Their onsite AV guy was also very good. I've been to several conferences over the years and the food can sometimes be second rate, but not here, it was extremely tasty and varied. I think the best thing about this hotel are the staff, I know our organiser was extremely impressed by the smooth co-ordination of the event, and on our last night he had forgotten his cuff links for our gala dinner and reception sourced some from another member of staff who ran home to get them - that's what I call service. The only negative I do have are the bedrooms are a little dated, but the rooms are clean and the bed is very comfortable. I have already come home and booked another golfing weekend as I missed getting on their course this time.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
SPHGC, Management Aministrator at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that Staff whilst professional were able to provide you with a personalised service in relation to your requirements. Ie the cufflinks.
Thank you once again for your comments will I will ensure are passed to the whole team and are welcomed and we look forward to being able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Wallington Surrey
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Spent weekend at Selsdon with 14 friends to celebrate a belated big Birthday ... I would say that we all had a fab time and the hotel staff were friendly and helpful ... the solarium which we were told we had exclusive use of for half an hour for drinks was full of people ... some of which helped themselves to our pre-dinner drinks, then the wedding party outside struck up a singalong - to be fair the waitress did immediately get us a complimentary tray of champagne to compensate ...we had booked a private room, the table was decorated beautifully and we set up our own small sonos music system ... about 15 mins into the meal next door's wedding band struck up and totally dominated our room ... we were forced to turn off our music and I couldn't hear the folk at the end of the table ... we made the best of it - dancing after dinner in our room to the band! All our rooms were in good order - and we were upgraded to a suite which was lovely (very good room rate) ... the meal was fine - but lacked 'wow' factor, but they were helpful with regard to allergies etc ... we all had a decent Sunday breakfast ... I think the staff are hard working and very service focussed ... I think the hotel does the one-off, one night stay 'function' style arrangement better than smaller, quieter events. We would, however use this hotel again should we have another celebration. Oh ... don't order a platter of sandwiches for lunch ... £88 for 14 dried, unexciting sandwiches !

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the grounds ... wonderful to wake up to.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Naturally I was disappointed to read that we did not exceed all of your expectations on this occasion, however I was pleased that my team of staff were helpful and professional throughout your stay providing great service with a smile. I apologise that you experienced noise disturbance during your meal from A function in an adjoins room. I was pleased to read however that when unknown guests to yourself inadvertently helped themselves to pre dinner drinks that these we replaced immediately by a member of the team. I would like to thank you again for your feedback which allows me to monitor the service that we provide to our guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Croydon
Croydon Park Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome
Jurys Inn London Croydon
Hampton by Hilton London Croydon
Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club

Been to De Vere Selsdon Estate? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK