“Never disappointed, Cracking chinese food, great staff.”
Review of Kwei Ping

Kwei Ping
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 19 April 2015

2 visits within a week, 1 as a foursome, the other as a large group from work .
Both were excellent. The food is consistently good and the service fun and friendly with a bit of banter thrown in.
I have to take my hat off though to the staff for how they coped with a very large group. We filled the whole restaurant and for that reason they had provided a set meal, but that doesn't really adequately describe the meal. This was full on Chinese feast. ribs that fell off the bone, Yuk Sung with lovely crispy lettuce. Crispy Duck with pancakes, always a favourite, followed by another 5 main course dishes and the most amazing Chinese salt and peppered chips...yes I know, chips...but they were very very popular!
Can't fault the place, it's friendly and casual in atmosphere and I haven't had a bad dish there yet! PS the King Chung dishes are another favourite :)
I'm now so hungry I think I should go back!

Reviewed 19 April 2015

On a Saturday night me and my friend were trying to find somewhere to eat at late notice. We had rang around most places to find that everywhere was fully booked. I knew about Kwei Ping and thought I'd give it a shot. I rang them and they had a table available for us, I was pleased as everywhere else had turned us down.
On arrival, we entered the reception area and we were completely ignored by multiple members of staff, leaving us standing awkwardly in-front other diners and the owner. After a couple of minutes we were then ushered over to the table that had been laid out for us. The waitress looked scruffy and unprofessional, her hair was greasy and the dress code was clearly non-existent. Her finger nails were dirty which put us off our meal before we had even started.
We then ordered a bottle of Rose and asked how much it would be, she seemed unsure and vaguely said 'about nine pound'. We were fine with this and she then bought our bottle over. We began to drink the wine and after a few moments a different waitress who seemed nervous and timid came over with an ice bucket and put our wine in it. After she had gone, much to our shock, the bucket had no ice in it.
However, after reading the menu me and my friend were astounded at how high the prices were. We decided to have a set meal for three as we liked the food that it included and we were feeling quite hungry, considering that we didn't want to spend £8.20 for a Chicken Chow Mein... The price for the set meal was 'per head' and we were fine with this. The woman who was clearly the owner as she was wearing jeans with an authoritive demeanour, came over to take our food order. We then told her that we wanted the set meal for three. She abruptly and almost aggressively refused us. We joked about how hungry we were and she still told us we couldn't have it in a rude manner. We reconsidered and chose the set meal for two. This was fine.
After waiting nearly 30 minutes the starter came which was barbeque ribs. They were lying on a pile of soggy lettuce which made it look like there was more than was there. The ribs were pure fat and the bone was like chalk.
Our main meals all came together and there was definitely not enough room on the small table. By this time we had finished our first bottle of wine and we asked for another. The owner delivered it, again in an empty ice bucket. We then asked if we could have ice in the bucket and her exact response was 'It's already cold'. We insisted that we wanted ice in the bucket and what came back was 5 ice cubes at the bottom of the bucket.
After a disappointing main meal, we had had enough and asked for the bill. Our table was cleared and the bill was given to us very quickly... The bill came to £65.70. We were astounded and called over the same waitress who told us our wine was £9.00. We pointed to our bill and she then said 'Oh? Has she not told you about the wine situation?' We said no, she then went on to explain that they had run out of the original wine we had and our second bottle was a different, more expensive one that they had substituted. The owner had clearly tried to charge us for a more expensive wine that we didn't asked for. We demanded this was changed and she scuttled off to 'Sort it'. When she came back the bill was now £55.50. This was correct so we gave £62.00 as we had split the bill and only had notes. The bill was handed to them.
However, we sat and waited for our change and when twenty minutes had passed we had to ask the waitress where our change was, the waitress said 'Oh I think that she just assumed it was a tip'. We were most certainly not prepared to give any tip after such awful service and dining experience. She seemed unsure as to what to do and almost ran to the reception area. Another ten minutes passed and our change was still no where to be seen. When it arrived, we were given £5.40 in change, this was incorrect and we had to call her back over as they had given us short of £2.00. She then said 'I've managed to persuade her' By 'her' she meant the manager, who from what we gathered was clearly annoyed that we had even asked for the correct change.
Overall our experience at Kwei Ping was less than satisfactory. The customer service was terrible and they need to understand how personal hygiene is MUST when working with the public and food. The prices are too high and the standards are too low. No atmosphere. No communication skills. Awful meal. Awful Service. My first visit to Kwei Ping will most certainly be my last.

1  Thank Aimee F
Julie C, Owner at Kwei Ping, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2015

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal out with us. Firstly I would like to apologise regarding the confusion regarding the bill, that was a mistake on my behalf.

I did try to explain to you on the night that our set meal for three option is designed and priced specifically for three people at £18.80 per head (i.e. total of £56.40), this option would not have been best value for two people and it would have been better value to order the dishes you fancied off the a la carte menu.

In regards to your comment about our staff's uniforms, I am looking to address this and will be issuing new uniform standards and I will speak to my staff about their hand hygiene.

Thank you for your comments and sorry to hear you did not enjoy your dining experience with us.

Julie Cheung
Kwei Ping Restaurant Manager

Reviewed 14 April 2015 via mobile

Again as usual a excellent meal. Could not fault it, piping hot. Service was excellent too. Best Chinese restaurant in burton on trent.

Reviewed 13 April 2015 via mobile

Took family and really enjoyed a great meal. Plenty of choice. All fresh and hot. Nothing too much trouble

Reviewed 12 April 2015 via mobile

We visited with our friends Saturday evening . The starter was fine Duck with pancakes . However my main and husbands main was cold , seemed like it was served on cold plates too . The service was either they were pestering you or not at all. Won't be returning that's for sure .

Julie C, Owner at Kwei Ping, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2015

Hi Helen,

I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your evening meal with us. We generally receive very positive feedback on our service but are always looking to improve upon our standards. Thank you for your comments.

Kind Regards,