“Tasty lunch”

The Mill at Rode
Ranked #28 of 103 Restaurants in Frome
Price range: US$ 14 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Barbecue, Contemporary, British, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Mill at Rode is a quintessential English inn, set on a stunning riverside site, surrounded by beautiful gardens and with a fabulous deck area overlooking the water. This former woollen mill is one of the few surviving that once put Rode on the map as a key trading centre and market town on the Somerset and Wiltshire border. The Mill was part of a consortium that won a competition to make a dress for Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III, and invented a dye colour Royal Blue.. The Mill is now part of the Butcombe Brewery group of pubs and through sensitive restoration still connects with its industrial past, including the historic waterwheel. The pub has recently undergone a big refurbishment and the result is a carefully crafted modern, contemporary environment that is ideal for meeting friends, enjoying family time, or celebrating major events, with private dining facilities for up to 60 guests. Renowned for its great fresh locally sourced food and convivial atmosphere, the Mill at Rode is a perfect location for all occasions. There is plenty of parking and outside the chance to try your hand at some typical English pub games such as Giant Jenga and croquet so it is ideal for enjoying the lovely natural setting on the River Frome. Close to Bath, the Mill is a mecca for locals and visitors alike who are looking for a relaxing time. The Mill chefs pride themselves on using only the best ingredients, with as many as possible being supplied locally. On the menu are some classic British dishes such as sausage and mash with onion gravy to hearty international favourites such as dry rubbed pork ribs. And of course there is a fantastic selection of ales from Butcombe Brewery and a wide range of wines to suit all tastes and palates.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

2 friends and I have just enjoyed a lovely lunch. There was a choice of lighter bites, set menu and a la carte which you don't always get at lunch time. Reasonable prices for what we had and the desserts were a particular highlight. Would certainly go again.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Lunch
Was alright. I had the same meal as family (roast beef) and my mum had less veg than I did on my plate. It seemed to vary across the four of us. Mum also didn’t have horseradish on hers where I did. Wondered if they had mixed her meal with someone else.

Drinks
Both times I’ve been here in past couple of months, table has a menu of alcoholic beverages but not non-alcoholic. Considering most drive here from nearby towns and villages it’s quite bad they do not promote non-alcoholic. With a large party of people it’s an absolute pain to ask numerous times what’s available.
Americano Coffee was very very bitter.

Ambience and environment
Lovely setting
I’ve loved coming here for years
Disappointed to see that on the website and bookatable.com doesn’t mention the restaurant is dog friendly. The place now smells of wet dogs which is really off putting when eating food. Saw 4 dogs with different owners crawling over the seats and chairs. One had been in the river outside and then sat at the dinner table soaking wet.
My mum has an allergy to dogs so if I’d known I would have gone elsewhere as she was ill that afternoon because of it.
We could smell dog on our clothes when we left.
We loves dogs but they should be kept outside like before in the vast outside seating there. Having dogs from walks and from being in the river is really unhygienic when people are eating indoors in the restaurant. It really does smell. This is why I voted it average. It was very off putting her eating.

Other than that food was good and service was too.
Would recommend going for a Sunday roast nearer midday so food doesn’t go funny by late afternoon.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A lovely spot for either lunch or dinner. Good food and a great atmosphere although sadly its a while since I have been there, must revisit soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had passes the sign for The Mill many times but finally visited it last week. We arrived at Saturday lunchtime without a booking but were found a table very quickly. The service was friendly and efficient and the menu offered a wide choice. The prices were very reasonable and offered good value. We will definitely go back again when the weather improves and it possible to sit on the terrace by the river.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

The place has a really nice ambiance but a rude staff ruined my experience. The food was slightly pricey but was nothing extraordinary. We went in around 4pm, the place was quiet at the time but we had to wait for our food. Before the food arrived on the table a (quite rude) staff with short silver hair asked us in impolite manner to move to another table. As we were leaving the place, this same staff was stood next to the door but we weren’t greeted/thanked. We won’t be coming back and won’t be recommending.

3  Thank Julitte A