All reviews leisure facilities murder mystery manor room four poster telford suite afternoon tea swimming pool leisure club country house poster bed lovely pool steam room and sauna old building no lift fishing lake evening meal a bit tired
Reviewed 9 September 2018

We really enjoyed our stay thank you very much. We hadn't managed to get away for a long time so it was our first short break as a couple for a good while and everything was lovely thank you. The room was so spacious and clean and bed was so comfy I didn't want to get out of it! I loved the Victorian style bath, it was so deep. We were really pleased with everything about our room. Also, as an added bonus we enjoyed the outdoor theatre performance of 'Alice in Wonderland'. It was lovely and actors were all brilliant. We liked the way the children were included in their performance too. The food was lovely and our breakfast was fantastic thank you, well cooked and really tasty. The lady who served us was really pleasant, friendly and made sure we enjoyed our breakfast; I am sorry I don't know her name but she was on duty in breakfast room on 3rd September '18 if you could thank her for us please? Thank you very much and we look forward to coming to stay with you again very soon. I would definitely recommend staying at Houghton Hall to others. Very best wishes, Julia and David Priestley. xx

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious and lots of peace and quiet, away from traffic noise.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Lovely large bedroom with a bath in it, beautiful views. Very clean and staff were very helpful and friendly. Food could have been better
In the restaurant, and the breakfast was quite small, but overall we had a very pleasant stay.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

I stay in hotels every week so I am pretty good at not getting too excited by pictures and editorial on websites, I am more about getting the price right and I’ll accept the rest for one night. I paid £71 for one night room only here and I have to say it was ok, I would say it’s probably more like a £50-60 hotel with breakfast and reading some of the other reviews I would have been very upset to pay anything like £100+. Yes the hotel looks great as you drive up and it is dated inside, but my room was fine and I did have bar food and drinks which were actually lovely. I do agree there is a shortage of staff but I like the fact you can press the button on the bar or in the leisure club to bring the staff member, it did work ! Saying the leisure facilities aren’t on the same site is a bit harsh, they are across the car park within the grounds and are perfectly usable. What I will say is that this isn’t a place to go for a Spa Weekend as the leisure facilities are more like a council leisure centre ie perfectly usable but in no way luxurious. I do think a bottle of water in the room would be a nice touch especially in these hot evenings. Although it looks lovely, to me this is a budget hotel and should be seen like that, to be a luxurious country house venue it would need a serious refurb which no one is going to afford. I was a bit frustrated to stand in the very small reception room with another guest waiting to check out as the one staff member was trying to help what sounded like a meticulous caller. Surely between 8-9am it’s likely a lot of guests will check out, so have two people available maybe ? If this hotel was £50 I would use it every week as I enjoyed the swim and bar food, making it more expensive means people expect much more for their money as the other local options are better value.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

My Husband & I were, overall, extremely disappointed with our stay, particularly the state of the hotel itself and value for money.

Upon arrival our hearts sank as the hotel is much more dated and worn than the online photos reflect, although your online photos are truly beautiful, may I suggest an updated version to prevent further disappointed to future customers.

Although I appreciate the internal decor is best when in-keeping with the exterior grandeur the hotel wishes to portray, and of course the age of the building, may I suggest a touch of paint and an update of furniture etc. My Husband & I could have overlooked the outdated furniture however, we were quite shocked to find paint chipped and wallpaper peeled, together with leather peeled/peeling from the chairs in the bar area and laminate flooring that was worn to almost none existent corners.
All of the above being before we had even reached our room.

The room was quite the same I’m afraid, the bathroom, particular the shower was extremely upsetting with black mould along the grout lines and a mirror that had worn around the edges.
May I also suggest conditioner for your guests as part of the complimentary toiletries, as most guests staying for only 1 night will rely on the complimentary toiletries as part of their stay and some will struggle without conditioner. As I did.
I would also like to add that although I am certain you will have staff members that clean and prepare each room, our bathroom door, around the handle was disgraceful.

We were shocked to find no mini bar/cold refreshments in our room, and had to use tap water in the night.

We chose to eat off site for our evening meal as we were rather disappointed and cancelled our meal vouchers. I would like to point out that if it hadn’t been for the fact my Husband has booked a package, we would have left and returned home that evening.

Upon our return from our evening meal we decided to sit in the bar for a drink and on 3 occasions I had to walk to reception to ask for a member of staff so we could order a drink, of which there was only a member of staff on reception once. Although the staff were extremely polite and pleasant, I’m sure you will agree this is not acceptable service.

Breakfast wasn’t great, and had we have payed £11/£12 for it I would have been quite insulted.
My Husband didn’t receive fried bread with his breakfast and although this did not upset us, we are confident that had we have mentioned it, a member of staff would have been happy to rectify this for us, it just added to an already disappointing visit.

Afternoon tea before our departure was another disappointment I’m afraid. Although the staff were pleasant once again, the quality was not up to par, the scone (usually the highlight of afternoon tea) was more like a biscuit, and not being able to chose our sandwiches meant I went without and my Husband only ate 1, of which the crust had been left on.

I have since looked online and found that for a basic room you are charging anywhere between £60-£90 and I wanted to make you aware that I would have been extremely insulted if I’d have paid anywhere in this region for the room we stayed in, we are quite upset that we have paid £150 for our experience overall.

This experience was a birthday present from my Husband and we have both been excited for a relaxing break for months, however we have left feeling disappointed and angry and unfortunately quite upset at the waste of a birthday present that I was so looking forward to.

I appreciate prices are often reflective of the cost within hospitality and when booking a budget hotel I would have expected shortcuts etc. However, you are not advertised as a budget hotel nor do I expect you would want to be seen as one. I’m afraid having stayed at a Premier Inn previously, I have been far more satisfied with their value for money and given the option in the future I would rather stay there at the cost of your room.

I raised my above concerns with your Business Manager via email only to be “fobbed” off with a response that stated the Duty Managers did not feel my comment reflected your usually high standards, to which I was rather confused.... either your Duty Manager was implying my comments were untrue or that unfortunately my experience was a “slip” of your “usually high standards” - either of which is not great!
Your Business Manager also pointed out that a Premier Inn is a faceless brand to which I was even more so confused as my original complaint detailed how on numerous occasions your staff were unavailable to serve me and I had to actually search for someone..... I fail to understand how a Premier Inn would have been any more “faceless” than this? I’m pretty sure there would have been a member of staff to serve me at a Premier Inn.

No further reply from your Business Manager, in over a week, which again, isn’t great.....

Very disappointing experience further proved by the disappointing aftercare.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

The approach to the hotel is very promising, and the facade of the main building is impressive, however this is a tired place which gets some basic things wrong. The first issue was that the key didn’t work, which is irritating when your room is in an annex and a bit of a walk. We ended up leaving our bags at reception as we were heading straight out, and it was fixed when we returned.

My real gripe is that the toilet was dirty. When we returned, it had been cleaned as we’d asked, but we really shouldn’t have had to ask!

Everything else was fine really, nice (if tired) pool and spa area, ok breakfast, small room, but perfectly adequate. For £100, given the facilities, it was a fair price, but the dirty toilet, unforgivable.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple