All reviews court room old building four poster bed roast potatoes powerful shower separate shower spacious room good nights sleep stayed for one night special occasion character corridor landlord lesley ales tlc pubs
Reviewed 5 August 2016

Joan & Rick. Liverpool Hosts Tony & Odetta. Could not have been more helpful, they had only just taken over management .Our room was more than expected could not fault it. Service was excellent for breakfast and dinner the two young men serving the meals were pleasant and attentive in keeping with the lovely place. We also attended a wedding and had no problems and getting in late. If you don't want to stay in hotel with history and character then you should stay at travelodge

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank ron d
Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on a Saturday night after attending a wedding reception nearby. When checking in we were stood in the empty bar waiting for someone for 5 minutes before my husband went looking for someone. A gentleman then checked us in by taking payment and leading us to our room. That was it. He didn't give us any useful info. We had to ask him how to get back in after the doors were locked at night (as we were going to a wedding reception we knew we'd be late back), we also had to ask what time breakfast was the next day. All this while he was hastily walking out. He didn't tell us what time checkout was, or what the Wi-Fi code was, and there was no information in the room at all.
Such a shame because the room itself was pretty good. Comfy bed, big wardrobe, good sized and clean bathroom.
We ended up not going to breakfast because it finished at 9.30 (on a Sunday...) which was too early for us after a late night. We were woken up regardless though by stomping footfall on the floor above us. I know this can't be helped as it seems like an old building but it's just something to be aware of.
There was no one to be found when trying to check out either so we just left our key behind the bar.
I'm convinced this place would be lovely if the service was better. That's something to work on.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2016

Stayed two nights but wished we'd chosen to stay somewhere friendlier. Staff not welcoming or helpful. Told that people only stayed there because it was cheap! It's an old place and rather rambling. Pleasant cobbled yard in middle. A bit of a trek along corridors to our room but the room was pleasant, at the back so it was quiet and care had been taken with laying out toiletries to make the bed attractive. Lots of air conditioning noise at night. Only one bed-side table/lamp. Breakfast menu OK but very limited choice of cereal and no fruit. First morning smiley waitress and food OK but second morning a big disappointment. Young lad, probably on work experience was left to fend on his own with hardly any support (so it seemed). I was told I couldn't have scrambled eggs and he couldn't find any more sachets of jam or marmalade! After some persuasion I did get scrambled eggs and someone was sent out to buy jam (I had to wait 12 minutes though).
Nobody to say goodbye to, nobody who really seemed to care.

Room tip: Car park was full but easily found on road parking. Beware uneven staircase.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2016 via mobile

Well where to start. If you can look past the gang of smokers loitering outside the entrance The Crown looks fine. That's as good as it gets! The manager, Tony I think his name was, is a rude and obnoxious man. I was shown to a rather shabby looking room, at closer inspection I found what looked suspiciously like public hair on the bedsheets and there was a horrible musky smell which I couldn't get rid of since the windows seemed to be painted shut.
I thought I would persevere with the place so I went down to the 'restaurant' and ordered some food. I chose to order lasagne. It took forever for the food to arrive and when it did it was clearly a cheap microwave meal. Not the home made food which I was expecting.
Certainly not an establishment I will ever be visiting again!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2016

I stayed here for one night as I had a seminar close by the next day.

All staff seem very pleasant and obliging. I stayed in the room 9 which had 3 single beds for just me! Room was of course of a good size and nice and clean. Facilities were as expected.
This hotel in an Old Coaching Inn and retains that historical reference in how the layout of the Hotel is.

I would definitely return