“Best gluten-free breakfast choice”

Dunns Houses Farmhouse Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 6 Otterburn B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 September 2011

This is a very large working farm with sheep, cattle and horses but the whole farm area was kept very clean and tidy with no “farm yard” smells. My wife and I stayed for two nights before travelling on to Alnwick. Mrs Walton was the perfect, attentive host. Our room was comfortable and we were made to feel very welcome. My wife (who has to have wheat/gluten free meals) was presented with the best breakfast choice she has ever experienced.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richard F
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 June 2011

Dunn's Houses was our first B&B stop on our recent magical trip to the UK. I wasn't sure what to expect, (and didn't realize I could program postal codes into my GPS so had some trouble finding it at first) but it surpassed my expectations. The farmhouse is a jewel set in a magnificent setting high in the Cheviots, surrounded by beautiful paddocks that give way to long rolling fields and soaring hills. Jane met us and showed us into our pretty room, complete with fresh milk for our tea before we headed off to have adventures.
We returned on the late side, and I went out to wander the grounds before bed. I had a lovely chat with the jump racers whom Jane trains with her daughter, then had a lovely walk around the gardens. It was after 11pm and the sky was still ablaze in the west. Astonishing!
The bed was very comfortable, the room clean as a pin. The TV is a little small but I think a bigger one would be incongruous. The bathroom is also on the small side, with a shower that's a little tight for a gal of my...er....generous proportions. But the view overlooking the paddocks, and the welcoming warmth of the room itself more than made up for it.
Breakfast was sheer delight, in a beautiful drawing room with loads of hot coffee, fruit and yogurt on the sideboard and a delicious cooked meal prepared by Jane.
Quiet and beauty were our main goals, and this lovely place more than provided them.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ridetbred
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We stayed for 3 nights to explore Northumberland and Holy Island. The house is an old large farmhouse with, I think, 3 guest rooms. Our room was a large family room which meant that two of us had loads of room. We had windows on two sides with great views across country. The bathroom was built within the room and had a shower, basin and toilet. The decor was a little dated and the television small bt it was very clean and well looked after.
When you arrived or returned for the day, Jane met you and gave you a jug of fresh milk for tea and coffee. On arrival you also selected your breakfast for the duration of the stay. The breakfast was fresh and well cooked and kept us going until mid afternoon on our travels.
On our first night we had dinner pre booked and it was a good choice which we enjoyed. On the other nights there are other local pubs and hotels within 5 miles where you can obtain a discount from the B&B. You need to bring your own wine or beer but that is not a problem for them.
The farmhouse is off the main road but the road itself is not busy so you are not bothered by any road noise. The family are very welcoming anf friendly and overall it was an enjoyable stay and we will certainly go back again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yorkshireman abroad
Reviewed 16 July 2007

I stayed here one night with my wife during a driving holiday through England. We always try to choose country B&Bs as they offer the peace and quiet we don't get living in London! Dunns Farmhouses is a lovely place to stay, and the hosts are very friendly and cook a great English breakfast! This really is a family home and doesn't have the more flash or modern look of some B&Bs but to me this adds to its charm. The surrounding countryside is ideal for an evening stroll, and even their horses are very friendly! I would thoroughly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family