“Wedding Reception”

Ranked #26 of 111 Restaurants in Morpeth
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We held our wedding reception at Barluga in March 2018. From the very beginning of the planning process Ben and Alex and Dan were brilliant. The service on the day was first class. Big thanks to Alex who was so attentive and professional in managing the day.The function room looked beautiful and the food was excellent. Waitress service was extremely well organised and our guests all loved the relaxed atmosphere. We would highly recommend this venue for its cool sophistication and attention to detail. Perfect in every way.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

The restaurant had a few customers in when we arrived (Sunday eve 5pm). Was seated and provided with menus and wine list.

Felt as though we had waited ages for the order to be taken, and probably just as long for the food to be cooked. Began to think the staff had gone home, it took that long.

Had a 5 year old with us and found it hard to entertain her waiting for her meal. Good basic childrens menus for £5, however the adult meals are limited.

If the elderly members of the family were able to attend, I am sure they would of left and gone else where.

After the meals were finished, waited for plates to be cleared and ordered one dessert for the young child. Again a long wait for one dessert.

Eventually received the bill, at which point I had a numb bum from sitting for so long.

Children are very hard to entertain when you have to wait so long for the meal, I could see children on the next table bored and wanting to go.

Paid up, no tip, I could not get out quick enough. The food might of been nice, but waiting so long for it, it was a disappointment.

There are very few places to eat in Morpeth, but one thing for sure, I wont be going back.

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I decided to go for a meal and a bottle of good wine on a Friday afternoon to start our weekend off together. Firstly the young lady who came to our table initially was pleasant. We couldn’t decide what we’d like to eat so she gave us time. Then we got a young man who came to our table and took our order. We ordered one of the more expensive bottles of wine and our meal.

The young waiter, whose name I don’t know but to describe him had red hair, looked unkempt and had a bad attitude. He brought our expensive bottle of wine unopened, plonked it on the table with the glasses then left. Didn’t open it or pour it!!!! You’d expect at least to have your wine opened for you. Especially when you’ve paid as much for it.

When we finished our meal we sat back to enjoy the rest of our wine. We still had half full glasses when he appeared and said ‘can I get your bill?? or do you want anything else’. Rude!!!! Now pardon me if I’m wrong but would it not have been more polite to ask if we’d like anything else and if we hadn’t then ask if we’d want the bill??

The restaurant was half empty and because we were enjoying the chilled mood, our wine and rare time together we had decided we might stay for another bottle and enjoy the rest of our afternoon. Instead we felt like we’d been forced to leave. It made us feel very uncomfortable.
My husband explained to the waiter how we felt and he argued back with us. Then he brought us the wrong bill. He brought us the next tables bill which was for 4 people!!!

Now I have to say the meal was very enjoyable. Presented beautifully and very tasty. And if it had not been for the rudeness and argumentative nature of the waiter we’d have stayed. However he was unapologetic, argumentative and rude.
So we paid the bill, didn’t leave a tip and went elsewhere where we didn’t feel rushed or pushed to leave.

We may go back again as we enjoyed our food, but only if the staff issues are addressed. Poorly trained immature staff let the place down.

2  Thank shamufan
Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

Visited Barluga for an early tea. It’s certainly value, before 6pm at £12 for two courses and £15 for three and the food was good & well presented. However, I couldn’t help but feel there wasn’t enough staff on the bar and taking food orders. If a crowd arrives you’ve got no chance of any service as it’s run by one person. Their manner said it all, whether this was due to having to work singlehandedly or they just had a surly, unsociable manner is a unknown but, either way the service is not what I’d have expected at Barluga, in Morpeth. Got to say that McDonalds does better customer service than this!

Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

Decided to call in for happy hour drinks.
Very few people in downstairs so the lone barman wasn’t busy.
I asked him to explain some of the cocktails which he did so fast I couldn’t take it in. He was offhand, miserable and a total turnoff. We were going to stay for food but after two expensive cocktails (even at happy hour prices) we decided to leave to spend our money elsewhere.
The bearded barman has had a charisma by-pass and needs to up his game.

1  Thank lindar300_12