“Beautiful Pub”

The Kings Arms
Ranked #12 of 27 Restaurants in Oundle
Cuisines: Spanish, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A traditional country pub with a continental twist. Choose from a fantastic range of local ales as well a menu that caters for every one.
Reviewed 20 March 2017

Stumbled across this place by chance. Had to stop as the building is stunning and has serious curb appeal.
Was delighted to find the interior is equally appealing. The bar sparkled with a great range of spirits and interesting wooden beer pumps add a distinctive and attractive touch.
There is a huge open fire and plenty of nice seating areas in the bar, separate restaurant, private dining area, and al fresco in the beer garden.
The staff were really upbeat and engaging making the place very welcoming. As we're the locals at the bar. Nearly all of the other guests seemed to have young children with them so definitely a child friendly place.
There are a few subtle Spanish twists dotted around but none more obvious than the menu. Padron peppers, pulpo, tortilla, chorizo, and paella if ordered 24hrs in advance. They are big on tapas. The only disappointment was the selection of mains which seemed to be a mix of mediocre European choices rather than a continuation of the fabulous Spanish theme.

Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

After going on a walk through the surrounding fields with my dog I decided to pop into the kings arms for a light lunch and a pot of tea. Despite being busy the two ladies behind the bar (late teens to twenties) greeted me quickly and found me a table, as I had the dog I couldn't go through to the restaurant but it was nice to sit by the open fire.
There were a lot of options for food, a small lunch menu, a special board and the menus on the table. I opted for the salmon and prawn salad which was delicious, the salmon was clearly fresh and was exactly what I was looking for, for lunch....not to mention it was only £5.50!
The food didn't take long to arrive once I'd placed my order and all in all it was just what I needed to finish off a lovely walk.
Will definitely be back.

Reviewed 6 March 2017

The bar area was full, 3 deep, when we pitched up, which is nice to see in a local Pub. Problem was that there was only 1 guy serving so it took 15mins to say we’d arrived for our meal. We were shown to the restaurant area, where we ordered drinks, which came rapidly, but the order was wrong.

The menu has a Spanish tapas vibe, which looked nice, as did the specials on the blackboard. I opted for whitebait to start and chicken&bacon pie for main. All our starters arrived piping hot and were scrummy. We then chatted away waiting for the mains to arrive … after an hour we were about to call the waitress over, when she arrived and asked “what would you like for pudding” ... they'd clearly forgotten about us so she rushed into the kitchen … 15mins later our mains arrived, but 3 out of 4 were wrong. No veg on 2 plates, no mash on mine. And no apology. Some while later the “head waitress”? came over to ask if all was okay, and we said we were still waiting for the veg/mash for our meals. She didn't apologise either.

Now I don’t know about you but when paying £6/7 each for starters and £12/15 for mains, I expect the kitchen to put the advertised food on the plate and if they get it wrong, say sorry and correct it. This experience was such a shame as we’d eaten there a few weeks ago at lunchtime and it was great. On this occasions, the place had overstretched itself and could not cope, and wasn’t bothered about customer service.

Reviewed 21 February 2017

We visited the King’s Head for Sunday lunch. We had 3 different dishes between the 4 of us. Two of us ordered a fish dish which was okay but fairly small for the price we paid. The person ordering gammon and chips was satisfied with their meal but the real disappointment was the Sunday lunch dish which was ordered by the remaining member of our party. The meat was tough, the vegetables sparse and it seemed as if the roast potatoes had been re-heated but cooked at least the day before.

It’s a shame really that the food was such poor value as the pub is quite nice inside, they have good beer and the staff were friendly but it doesn’t say much for the place that as a British country pub they can’t even do a Sunday lunch to an acceptable standard.

Reviewed 29 January 2017

Great country pub serving a varied and exciting lunch offer, from Traditional sunday lunches to a Spanish influenced menu. Love the Tapas, ideal as starters or snacks.

I had Liver on Risotto, which was excellent.

Nice beer offering,m though sadly was unable to partake as I was the driver.