“A Hidden Gem!”

Ranked #2 of 229 Restaurants in Kettering
Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 16
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Old Forge Tea Room serves breakfast , lunch, cream teas and homemade cakes. Indoor seating for 30. Outdoor seating for 30.6 Days a week (plus sundays mid may to mid oct)
Reviewed 11 May 2018

Although the family have been here before, it’s my first time but what a treat I’ve been missing. Arrived around lunch time with the place fairly full and not having pre-booked. The staff however were excellent and worked around bookings and seating arrangements to fit us in. We were handed menus and explained that unfortunately the coffee machine had broken the previous day but they had instant coffee which was acceptable in the circumstances as all the other drinks were available. We placed our drinks order and wonder of wonders we could hold a conversation as the music was as it should be - background music ! Placed our food order from the specials board although the menu had a varied selection. This gave me the opportunity to take in the atmospheric surroundings-brilliant. It really was an old forge with the original fire replaced by a log burner, which I imagine would keep the room nearly as warm as in its original useage. Meal arrived and was wholesome and thoroughly tasty !! For pudding we had choice of hot/cold sweet or cake and again nothing too much trouble as one of our party asked for cold custard with apple pie which we got. Cannot complain either about the price as we had drinks, main course and pudding for under £10 per head - what a bargain!!!The only slight downside is parking as this is on street and popularity, as unfortunately several people had to be turned away due to limited space inside and as it was chilly they preferred not to sit at the outside tables. Would very highly recommend but book in advance or you may miss out on a great experience. Will be having words with the family for keeping it from me!! Service and staff all excellent and In the words of Arnie, I’ll be back!

Reviewed 25 April 2018

First visit to this restaurant and very pleased with it. Gets quite busy at lunch time so best to reserve a table in advance. Very friendly and helpful service. Enjoyed our meal; mine was risotto which was very tasty. Will definitely visit again.

Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

So I realise many places share the exact same title! But this is a little gem of a cafe, always a delight. The food, staff, atmosphere is lovely and it's one of the nicest places. Small and friendly. Thankyou!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Took a friend here for a birthday celebration. The food was delicious. The place is warm and friendly with a lot of character. When I came to pay I did not have cash. My bank transfer did not go through. (I paid today!) They were very accommodating. Thanks

Reviewed 20 December 2017

Ideal for morning coffee/afternoon tea but not so good for large groups at lunchtime and expensive for what you get. Service a bit slow and food average,