“A jolly good stay....”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Scunthorpe
Crowborough, United Kingdom
“A jolly good stay....”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

All in all a jolly good nights stay. Four of us had travelled up from Sevenoaks to watch football. Don't be fooled by the big car park outside, the inside is much nicer.

All the girls working in reception were very cheerful and helpful and despite arriving at 11.30 am Lorraine was more than happy to open the bar for us. The lounge / bar area was very comfy and clean and the Sky tv was a nice touch, especially for four blokes who were able to watch Soccer AM.

Rooms were clean and functional and the standard of decor was good. Mine had plenty of space for storage. Strangely I sat on the matress and thought it may not be that comfortable but when I lied down it was very comfy and provided a nice afternoon nap and a good nights sleep. Please note there are no fancy toilet accessories to steal or use in the room but pump dispensers more akin to a gym. That said this is a hotel at a price point and as I always take my own stuff anyway it wasn't a problem.

The reception staff were very helpful booking cabs and suggested the Pearl City chinese for dinner. Great tip because the food was excellent and in my book shows good local knowledge. When we got back at 1am they were more than happy to open the bar for us again.

Breakfast was very good and as I sit here typing right now I have suddenly realised I forgot my black pudding. Breakfast in my book is often characterised by the bacon, and at the Wortley it was very good, nice thick slices, little fat and not salty. I do echo the comment about the tea though, it doesn't quite work out of an urn. I would rather have hot water and a tea bag to make my own.

All in all a good nights stay. If I had to go to Scunny again I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nomad_Dave661
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Warwickshire
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Only stayed one night. Doesn't look much when you pull up but the room was very large and very comfortable. I ate in the restaurant and the food was extremely good. The service from Serpal (not sure of the spelling) was exceptional. Very good value for money.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We have stayed at the Wortley House for some 6 months recently.

During this time I have always found the staff most accommodating, this includes the reception, the restaurant and bar staff, breakfast staff and the chefs who frequent of an evening post their duties.

We have always found the rooms to be clean, spacious and comfortable and would recommend the town/rail station base for extra activities should they be required.

In addition, due to my work committments, I regularly change or ammend bookings and to date this has always been accepted, accommodated and provided gracefully to suit my requirements.

I would of course reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Booked two rooms for this hotel to attend a family funeral in the area. Hotel was perfect for what we required, close to family we had to visit and to where the service was being held. The staff from the moment we arrived were very nice. The two rooms were everything we required, clean, comfortable and of a good size. After returning back later on the Sunday evening the night porter greeted us and allowed us to sit in the bar area and have a relaxing glass of wine before retiring to bed, much needed. Breakfast in the morning was brilliant, everything freshly cooked to order and chap serving breakfast could not have been more helpful, much better than the buffet breakfast at more pricey hotels. Hate cold food, and this was perfect.

Thank you to the lady at reception who allowed us to keep our rooms for an extra half an hour to allow us time to get organised. Had 3 hours to sit about the hotel to wait until our funeral service, and the same chap who served us breakfast when we ordered coffee at the bar got us lovely coffe and biscuits whilst we waited. Could not have asked for any better service. Thank you to him.

I know this is an old hotel, but it does have character. Most of our famliy stayed at the premier inn and paid £58 for a double room and £8 for breakfast, we paid £60 for each room with breakfast so I think we got the better deal. A great wee hotel for the price we paid and I am quite fussy as to where I book and after reading the reports on here I was a bit worried, but I need not have as this was perfect for what we needed.

I don't normally write reviews I only read them, but felt I had to as the staff at this hotel and the accommodation were very good. Would return if I needed to visit this area again without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Hi
This hotel provided me with the safety that a female requires when travelling alone. The staff were helpful & polite & I would recommend staying here anytime. Its great value for money & a stones throw from the train station

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scunthorpe
1.1 km away
San Pietro Hotel
#1 of 12 in Scunthorpe
10.7 km away
The River Don Tavern And Lodge

Been to Wortley House Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK