All reviews sandwiches afternoon tea the pub other customers cooked to perfection top quality food anniversary dinner liver haddock and chips funeral tea highly recommend this hotel last weekend a large car park market town bed was comfortable biscuits cadwell park
Reviewed 9 June 2018

The visit was a total disaster from start to finish. The food was barely edible. The owners wife did most of the cooking and a chef she is not!!! Breakfast was cold. The fish and chips described as “ famous “ was very below average. I had chicken and chips from the special board I got a piece of battered chicken cremated that looked like an Iceland reject at a cost of £7.50. For a starter I decided to have mushroom in a cheese sauce with warm crusty roll, the mushrooms were in a ramekin and the roll was no bigger than a cigar at the cost of £6.95. Sorry to rattle on but we were also kept awake by drunken guests for 2 nights and since our visit I have been in bed ill with food poisoning at £90 a night I would rather poke my own eye out than visit again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank j00ls44
Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

We visited this hotel last year and enjoyed our stay so it was a no brainer for us to go back for an overnight stay while attending a charity event in Mablethorpe. We were not disappointed our room was on the ground floor. The shower room was more like a wet room with a large shower. The bed was extremely comfortable in fact it was a disabled room. The breakfast was just fantastic the cooked full English was cooked to perfection. The owners are a lovely couple as was all the staff. The added bonus is it is pet friendly

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Halfmoonhotel, Owner at Half Moon Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us you enjoyed your visit to the Half Moon.
All our staff thank you for the compliments.

Reviewed 16 May 2018

Not sure where to start on the matter but will keep it short and brief.
upon arrival we walked into main reception and I must say the atmosphere was very very dull and morbid, however no judgement at such early stages. my family and I had various meals, 3 of them being paninis with a side salad, I took one bite out of my bacon and brie panini and instantly tasted something very overpowering and sour this being that the brie was well out of date! not to mention the paninis (which were actually baguettes) were black and very very stale. its safe to say our bacon and brie paninis were sent back immediately! on replacing one of the meals (the other meal wasn't because I was totally put off) it came out exactly the same, burnt, stale and overall just poor.
we then received our bill, which was also overpriced! and upon leaving the chef said to us "you can have discount next time" NEXT TIME?!?! firstly there won't be a next time and secondly why the hell would you charge full price after the complaints recieved?? I have recently seen reviews about this place and the owners just don't hold there hands up and come across very rude. I am afraid to say that the chef has absolutely no idea what she's doing as she thought it all looked and was cooked perfectly fine. customer is always right and when you're paying the price you want some real good homemade food.

Room Tip: stay away from it
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
7  Thank bostock96
Halfmoonhotel, Director at Half Moon Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2018

Thank you for your comments about your recent visit to the Half Moon.

We apologise for the problems which you experienced.

We have thoroughly examined the causes which contributed to the meals you ordered being below the standards we normally experience. We have changed the manner in which Paninis’ will be prepared in the future which we believe will ensure that they are the quality we expect.

Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

Where to start .... My family and I recently attended for a carvery. Myself, my daughter who is 2, and my partner. Much to my disgust we were charged £6.95 for a 2 year olds dinner! Which they plated up! Which consisted of mash and veg! Totally unacceptable and very over priced! £6.95 for a bowl with a spoon of mash potato and a spoon on vegetables. We again recently attended on a sunny day to venture into the garden located at the back of the property. We brought three drinks but however the j2o I brought for my 2 year old was more than four months out of date. So upon leaving I took the bottle to the gentleman at the bar which who im am lead to believe was the landlord. Explained that unfortunately the drink was months out of date. To which his reply was ‘doesn’t really make much difference’
You see the thing is with a business the customers matter. Effort is important. There’s no wonder that place has no customers. Bring back Geoff!!
However I would like to thank Catherine for her outstanding services every time we come along.
She goes above and beyond for the customers.
Always makes an effort.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank hecunningham95
BobAlford, Owner at Half Moon Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Where to start...Our price for a child’s carvery is advertised at the till point as being £6.95 which amount you paid, together with the cost of two adult carvery’s, prior to being served. Surely that was the time to tell Catherine that your daughter was only 2 years old and that she only needed a much smaller portion than a child’s serving.
When you went to the carvery to be served our chef, Patrick, placed a child’s portion of turkey on the plate which was then handed to you or your partner to help yourselves to vegetables and gravy. The amount of any particular vegetable was your personal choice. Nothing was served in a ‘bowl’.
When you realised that the amount you had served for your daughter was very small you could have then approached either myself or Catherine and we would have gladly adjusted the price that you had paid. We have done this many times in the past for other customers with small children.
The particular J20 you purchased on a previous occasion had a BBE date of February the 18th. My remark that ‘it doesn’t really make much difference’ alluded to the fact that BBE dates are advisory only. There are a number of sites with advice on BBE dates for carbonated drinks., one of which states ‘Carbonated drinks are formulated to last a really, really long time. Just to give you a perspective of the shelf life, food scientists estimate that unopened diet carbonated drinks are good for up to 4 months past its shelf life expiry date, while unopened carbonated drinks with regular sugar content can safely be consumed up to 9 months after its listed expiration date’.
All our staff make the effort to give our customers the best possible service. Similarly all our staff see all the reviews which we receive so that all are aware of customers comments.

Reviewed 10 May 2018

Dropped in for lunch, a little glum inside but nice and clean. Ordered and arrived in good time, we did have to mention about our food at the end as not asked anything before. Steak and ale pie was very peppery the veg was cooked to death also not sure if it was 1 large potato in its skin or it was a jacket, served with no gravy. Fish and chips, chips were to die for could not really find batter but the fish it was barely warm, advertised as the best your ever eat .... chips were but fish left a lot to be desired.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seasonedtravellers99
Halfmoonhotel, Director at Half Moon Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2018

Thank you for your review. We always like to know if we ‘slip up’ so that we can correct our mistakes.