All reviews sandwiches afternoon tea the pub other customers cooked to perfection top quality food anniversary dinner liver haddock and chips funeral tea highly recommend this hotel last weekend a large car park market town bed was comfortable biscuits cadwell park
Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

Arrived late notice over the bank holiday weekend for one night and i was so taken back by the quality of everything, a beautiful old building but the room was very spacious and modern and suited my family perfect. The old boy on the reception desk was very blunt and straight to the point which we like, reminds me of my grandpa, hats off to him. The cleaner was also friendly and professional so the staff are ticking all the boxes. We really cannot fault our stay in any way the beds are comfy, the rooms have everything needed, the price was competitive. But the breakfast does need some improvement whether its complementary or not. We look forward to booking again in the near future but for longer, thank you for having us, the Haywoods

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Halfmoonhotel, Director at Half Moon Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us you enjoyed your stay at the Half Moon.
Our reviews are shared with all our staff so that everybody is aware of how we are doing.
The ‘old boy on reception’ (me) has created a fair amount of hilarity, thank you for bringing a smile to everyone’s face.
We would love to see you and your family again

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

Do myself and my partner dropped in for a drink in the beer garden, however upon entering the garden and seeing some crappy plastic chairs rather than some nice benches we decided to have a drink inside. When we went in we decided we would have a carvery too. The price was reasonable for a carvery (7.95) however we felt the small coke was overpriced at over 1.50 each for a tiny glass. Upon getting our carvery we found the meat to be a bit chewy and the veg looked liked it had been sat too long as the cauliflower was brown in places and the broccoli was yellow instead of green and tasted horrid. The mash was very dry and everything seemed to have a lot of black pepper on it. The Yorkshire's were also burnt. Wish I had looked at it properly before I purchased it. Upon turning to walk to my table I saw a dog water bowl on a table which I didn't feel was very hygienic and whilst eating our meal, the barmaid who was walking around shoeless was winging about an Ariel that wouldn't work a TV unless she was stood there and told her boss that she doesn't get paid enough to stand and hold an Ariel. Not really appropriate way of speaking to your boss Infront of customers.
Definately will not return again and was not asked if we enjoyed the meal.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vicki C

Thank you for your comments.
In addition to the plastic chairs there are 10 wooden benches spaced around the edge of the lawn, each has a table in front. We use plastic chairs as they are out in all weathers. They are not the most elegant of chairs but are a long way from the dictionary definition of ‘crappy’
Our Carvery is, as you say, reasonably priced at £7.95. The carvery was enjoyed by 32 other guests that day including a number who came after you had left and who were very complimentary about their meal.
The ‘tiny’ glass of Coke was a properly marked half pint glass which is priced at £1.60
We are very dog friendly and the water bowl you saw had been used by a couple who come every Sunday with their small dog and who always use the same table. They had lifted the water bowl off the floor as they left, hardly ‘unhygienic’.
I encourage a relaxed and happy atmosphere amongst my staff. The remark you overheard was a normal piece of banter, I certainly did not take offence nor was any meant. This is, after all, 2018 not 1918

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We had a funeral tea here for about 10 people. We were more than happy with the service and quality of food. Every thing was ready when we arrived. Bob was most helpful. No rushing us out we spent a few hours longer than we intended. It was clean and welcoming. I could not have asked for more. Thank you Bob and your team.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We needed a place for one night and picked the Half moon . We paid £90 for B and B .

Staff

All fine and dutiful

Room

Something from a late 80’s / 90’s time warp. Dark and dingy, wallpaper coming off walls , bathroom was basic at best , water shooting all over the place .

Evening meal

Too expensive but nice

Breakfast

Was a disgrace, how a hotel can put that on a plate and serve it is
beyond me . We got one coffee
which had gone by the time the breakfast came (30 mins after ordering ) we got no toast which might have helped. Our breakfast was like all the breakfasts being served, very poor
I was told at reception when we complained , that breakfast was complimentary but I booked through Booking. Com and breakfast was included in the room rate . We ended up buying a breakfast in Mablethorpe. £8 for 2 full breakfasts with tea and toast.

This hotel should not be allowed to charge the prices it does , they are stuck in a time warp and seemingly don’t care . This is a £50 a night hotel at best , that needs to improvement in all its facilities . Don’t pay £90 , there much better around I’m sure.
We were very very dissatisfied and disappointed.
We no hotels have budgets and take this on board but I can assure anyone reading this that we don’t expect too much wherever we go but we do have standards....
I posted many many reviews from many towns and countries and I’m always honest but fair. When I see a dog friendly hotel I will give it a wide birth as it seems to affect standards,as I saw a dog running around the kitchen that didn’t bode well at all .

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pauline C
BobAlford, Owner at Half Moon Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Thank you for your review, I will try to answer point by point. All reviews are circulated to all departments so that all our staff are aware of both their successes and failures.
1. I am pleased that you found my staff 'fine and dutiful'
2. I do not know how to answer the 'time warp' question. What exactly defines a comfotable country hotel. 20 people would give 20 different answers.
3. 'Dark and dingy' (dictionary definition of dingy is 'gloomy & drab) The room occupied has two karge windows facing the street. Two pictures of the actual room (Room 8) can be seen on our website. Under no circumstances can it be labelled 'dark, gloomy & drab'.
4. There was certainly a wallpaper seam approximately 12" long where the adhesive had failed. The 12" was at near ground level and ran from the skirting board upwards. It has been fixed
5. The bathroom consists of a tiled shower, a toilet and a wash hand basin as do all our bathrooms.
6. I am unable to comment on the 'water shooting all over the place' as I found it impossible with normal use to re-create such circumstances.
7 Thank you for telling us that you enjoyed the meal you had on Saturday evening.
Our menus are all fully priced.
8. Breakfast was obviously a problem and we apologise for the percieved failings. Our full english breakfasts consist of eggs, bacon, sausage, tomato, mushrooms and beans. Our breakfasts are cooked in order, to order, we do not pre-cook lots of food
in advance. This does mean that breakfast service is slower that in an hotel which precooks breakfast items.
When your plates were returned to the kitchen that which was left was commented upon, and it was agreed that the eggs might have been overcooked.
Toast is always available when requested as is coffee.
The waiter on duty commented, during a discussion, that he had passed your table several times while you were seated and to his recollection you did not ask at any time for attention nor did you complain in any way.
The were 17 other guests staying with us on the same day and we received a number of compliments when they checked out.
I believe that if there is a problem with any goods or services, complaints should be made at the time the problem takes place so as to give management the opportunity to deal with it immediately.
If a problem is not dealt with satisfactorily then might be the time to go into print.
9. You state that you were 'very dissatisfied and disappointed' yet to the best of my knowledge the only time you complained, and then only about the eggs at breakfast, during all the hours you were with us, was at the reception desk when you were checking out and my receptionist asked if you had enjoyed your stay.
10. We are very dog friendly and you may well have seen a dog, who had strayed, being chased out of the kitchen. At no time was there a 'dog running around the kitchen'.
I fail to understand how being 'dog friendly' can affect standards.

Reviewed 10 February 2018

My Wife and I stayed for three Nights. The room was clean and tidy, and the bed was comfortable, and was cleaned daily, which is what you would expect. The food was good, but I would dispute the "A la carte" wording on the Menu, and I'm afraid it is certainly not that, especially when served sauces in little sachets. However the meals were good, but a little over priced for what they are. The main thing that we did like and apart from the cleanliness was the very friendly staff members, who made us very welcome, so I was a little hesitate in putting adverse comments in, but feel as a reviewer that I should be honest with other TripAdvisor readers. The reason why the food in the Restaurant is more expensive for what it is, is almost certainly down to the fact that they have very little competition, and are in that position to do that. We came in February, so it was very quiet there anyway. Lovely people certainly, but a question mark on the value of the Restaurant meals.

Room Tip: Several rooms overlook the main A16, does have double glazing, but be aware of constant traffic during the daytime.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Halfmoonhotel, Owner at Half Moon Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us your thoughts, they are appreciated.
Our policy is to make sure all staff members see every review's so all will be aware of your compliments