Lol.travel
Trip.com
Hotels.com
All reviews afternoon tea sandwiches steam room soup staff were attentive wedding venue standard room my mum group of friends wedding reception evening meal great night full english nina rounds disco
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 July 2022 via mobile

I stayed here this week on business and had no complaints at all. The building and grounds are fantastic and my room was spacious. The hotel is generally quite dated and in need of a refurb in placed but it is priced appropriately and represents good value for money. Very friendly staff and an excellent breakfast.

Date of stay: July 2022
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2022 via mobile

On arrival from a long journey and a full days work I arrived at the reception desk even though my company had paid for the stay in advance the receptionist asked me for a credit card. Now with modern technology I have Apple Pay, I do not carry credit cards for security reasons as my work involves visiting clients sites where my personal possessions are left in an offices. So on this note I explained this to the receptionist only to be told that I can not get booked in as I do not have a credit card, I was also told it was company policy too which I could find no mention of this on their website. This saga went on for a while, like I was magically going to get a cc? I ask for the hotel manager and was told they were manager, only to find out later they lied and was not. (Grouse misconduct telling paying guest you are someone when your not, the real hotel manager should be having words with this person). I eventually got booked in when I advised I would get my company to cancel the booking and I would go to the Premier in down the road.
The atmosphere in the restaurant was like I was waiting to die! Food was ok but the Chef forgot somethings off the meal that were on the menu. Same at breakfast and the orange juice was off, fizzed in the mouth which indicates the orange juice is bad. The hall ways smelt- foisty-damp. My room was ok. The Spa, everyone was nice but it was not worth the money, my massage was like a rub, it definitely was no massage and neither was the scalp massage. For what I know of NVQ In beauty they do not train you in massaging? My OPI gel nails cracked on day two and looked totally awful. My pedicure was a splash in a bowel of water no massage of the foot,? The other staff around the hotel found it difficult with simple pleasantries. I caught up with the real Hotel manager whom was nice but advised I won’t be staying here again, I’d rather go to Premier inn at least you know what you get the staff are friendly and you do not get pressurised to hand over a credit card. I think they have dilutions of grandeur’ because of the golf course and those members and everyone else is a real inconvenience to them. With regards to credit cards get with the modern times not everyone will have Cc. If this is a real policy make it clear it is as such to companies/ anyone that books. Better still get rid and you could also benefit with getting rid of insubordinate members of staff.

Date of stay: July 2022
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 11 July 2022

We booked our wedding reception at Shaw Hill Golf & Spa Hotel after being let down by another venue, less than two months before the wedding day. Despite fearing that the day would be a disaster due to the short notice, nothing could have been further from the truth. The staff, especially Nina and all the managers (who put everything together expertly and with no fuss) could not have been more helpful. The room was decorated exactly as we asked, the organisation was evident and the staff very well briefed, so that we could relax on the day and just enjoy it. We didn't know much about the venue prior to booking, but we would strongly recommend to anyone planning a special event. The food was amazing, with most guests commenting on the service and quality of the meal. Our room overlooked the golf course, gave stunning views and was huge compared to others we have seen. Guest rooms were fine too and we are not aware of anyone complaining about any part of the stay. The hotel even accommodated some additional requests regarding rooms, which were granted with no issues. Massive thank you to Shaw Hill for rescuing and improving our day!!

Date of stay: May 2022
Reviewed 19 June 2022

Sorry to be writing this review but it was a letdown to be fair
Firstly We tried to get through to spa on the days running up to our stay via Facebook and phone , so I asked upon arrival I couldn’t book any treatments on the day of arrival or check out day unfortunately to be told they where far too busy , ther was a wedding on the day of arrival too so I felt as if we couldn’t use the grounds our room was clean & big the bathrooms was nicely tiled , our dinner was booked for restaurant at 18:30 we arrived at 18:25 pm to be told we was far too early by a lady front of house so we sat and had a drink to be shown to our table a little while later our food seemed fine but ther was an unclean member of staff helping in the restaurant which really put me off my dinner we left and went to bed where I was up on the toilet all nite I just wanted to go home I was dreading breakfast to be fair but my husband wanted to eat
the morning staff where lovely
I’m afraid I won’t be visiting again
Checked out early

Date of stay: June 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2022

As a group of friends we had a golf package at Shaw Hill,Bed breakfast evening meal
and two rounds of golf
The course was in excellent condition and is a real test,lots of trees?
The accommodation was also excellent and does not justify some bad reviews
re decoration or being tired.
The standard of food choice and service was also very good,the bar prices are a bit steep but it’s to be expected at a Spa and Country club
This place is well worth a visit if only for the golf alone
The staff are more than welcoming

Date of stay: June 2022