“Authentic Italian”
Review of Essenza

Essenza
Ranked #65 of 227 Restaurants in Chorley
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely evening with friends. The food is traditional authentic Italian. Food was hot and fresh, wine was delicious and the nut semi fredo a revelation. The staff took time to make recommendations and the future plans the owner has are very exciting, look forward to seeing what's to come at Essenza.

Date of visit: April 2018
2  Thank Heather G

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Visited with a group of people.
From the start the waiters were friendly, happy to discuss menu options and specials available.
The 2 course evening menu was great value at £14.50, specials are not included in this price.
All of the group had something different to eat and all reported the food was wonderful. I even had a dessert made for me as I couldn’t decide what to have!
All ingredients are authentic cooked by chefs from Italy!
This is a must for anybody who likes their food and drink!
Lovely atmosphere, the waiters were very attentive and helpful!
Recently been taken over and a great improvement with more developments to improve it even further to come I hear!
I will definitely be returning!

Date of visit: April 2018
2  Thank KarenW3870
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We have visited this restaurant many times under its previous name (Algheros), and had many wonderful family celebrations here. Sadly our meal on Thursday evening was our first and last under the new "management".

We arrived early evening about 6.30 and the place had less than 10 customers in. A nice smile to welcome us and show us to our table would have been much preferred to being escorted by a surly looking waiter. He took our drinks order and gave us a menu each. First impressions were poor and it went downhill from there. My husband noticed his cutlery was dirty, Grumpy saw this, said nothing, just put our drinks down. When he returned with our starters, he brought some clean cutlery. We took a good look at our table - there was no table cloth, so the food stains on the table were quite obvious. There were lipstick marks on my husband's wine glass - I can guarantee he does not wear that shade!

The starters were average, the main courses were good. This is the only saving grace of Essenza, and the reason for the 2 points I awarded. The restaurant was totally lacking as regards to ambience. A candle on the table or even a tealight would have been a nice touch at dinner time, as would a tablecloth and proper napkins - much preferred to the greasy spoon Formica type table with paper napkins!

As for price. For 2 starters, 2 main courses, and 4 glasses of cheap plonk wine the bill was £80. This was well overpriced for what we got. I would have expected to pay £50 for the quality of food/wine we received.

If there had been the ambience and service it may have felt worthwhile, however we were not made to feel welcome, table cleanliness was sadly lacking, and therefore we will not be returning. I would not recommend this place to my friends.

Date of visit: March 2018