“Charming” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Marine Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Whitstable
“Charming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed for 2 nights on the 4/5/12, we had a refurbished room, staff very friendly, lovely rustic pub, great food, could not fault our stay, would love to go back when the refurbishment has been completed through out, walking distance to harbour from hotel, Castle tea rooms about 5 min walk away a must - lovely cream tea !

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Noodlehoops
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Rochester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

we stayed at the Marine for one night over the bank holiday weekend. After initially booking incorrectly the manager James was so helpful and understanding and managed to organise a room.
We often go to Whitstable and had noticed that the Marine looked slightly tired. The owners have now undertaken a massive refurbishment of the hotel and we were amazed at the quality of the refurbishment that had been undertaken in our room. As I understand it some rooms have yet to be refurbished and then they are starting on the rest of the hotel. If its as tasteful as the work already done the hotel will be a big hit and worth any obvious future hike in tariffs.
the room was clean and the breakfast good. If you can get a refurbished room before any price increase next year its a bargain.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lorenzoiaq
Towcester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My friend and I stayed here for one night. I was concerned about the mixed reviews it had received but went with the thought in mind that it wouldn't be 5 star quality and to be open minded. Parking was really easy, so a good start. Our rooms were ready early, so another plus point. The reception was very friendly and helpful and the hotel itself, well ... yes in some areas it could do with a lick of paint but we were fortunate to have had a sneek preview of one of the refurbished rooms and it was great ... contemporary and cosy. some of the windows had been replaced for new UPVC ones and that was definitely a good idea, as in my sea front room I was able to hear the muffled tones of guests who were having a drink on the terrace area at the front of the hotel. I understand that some sound proofing is going in the rooms as well, which will be helpful because I could hear the music from a wedding reception in my room until midnight, which was not great for me ... however I am a light sleeper! The breakfast in the dining area was superb and the general cleanliness of the hotel was good. In my unrefurbished room, there was signs of wear and tear but nothing terrible and I found my room quite charming! I will definitely make another visit and hopefully by then enjoy the delights of a newly refurbished room.

Room Tip: Quite a lot of little stairs throughout the building, so if you are not too 'nimble' might b...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tracie C
Canterbury
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

Wedding taking place today, used the gents toilets downstairs to find 2 buckets under 2 of the urinals catching urine not water, what do wedding guest feel today paying a lot of money for there Do, disgusting health hazard.

We have been coming to this hotel for years as locals and always had lovely treatment from the Managers and Staff, I don't think I have ever spoken to the new Manager but he wants to get his act together because he is not a patch on the old ones, he is not people friendly. And Shepherd Neame you are losing custom, daily.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank AnonMo5
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I always stay at The Marine when visiting family and just accepted it for what it is, or rather what it was, because it is getting better. The new manager is like a breath of fresh air, the staff this trip were so much more friendly and made me feel more like a guest and less like an intruder. True the un-refurbished rooms are tired, and old and far too many stains for my liking, but this is why the whole hotel is being refurbished - and it is going to look great.

I had dinner in the restaurant one evening, and had the best Lamb and Mint pie I will ever have, it was wonderful. Breakfasts have always been a good value, and this time I actually spent time in the bar because the bar staff made me feel welcome, and this was not always the case.

As past recent reviewers have said, try and get a refurbished room if you can, I think the room I stayed in was not refurbished because it was still looking pretty old and grotty, but I had not stayed in that room before, I could not be 100% positive.

Well done to the new manager and the staff - if this is a foretaste of things to come, I will be back, and Mrs DuncarinUSA will be with me as well because an elevator is also in the hotel's future.

Room Tip: As past recent reviewers have said, try and get a refurbished room if you can
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank DuncarinUsa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitstable
3.8 km away
Canterbury Cathedral Lodge
Canterbury Cathedral Lodge
#1 of 17 in Canterbury
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,049 reviews

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK